How can I determine if my PS can fix my implants from falling to the sides when lying down?

I would like to know if my PS is experienced in capsulloraphy or wold replacing with a larger implant help.

Capsule repair

Most plastic surgeons should be skilled enough to repair a capsule if there is a problem. Best of luck.

Shifting impalnts

I am sure he is qualified and simply redoing the pocket to prevent the implants from shifting laterally is not too difficult.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fixing implants falling to the sides

Hello, if you want to know if your surgeon is experienced in capsulorraphy surgery I would simply ask them.  If your implants are already falling to the sides I would not recommend putting in even heavier implants.

How can I determine if my PS can fix my implants form falling to the sides when lying down?

If your plastic surgeon is board certified and routinely performs breast surgery, he/she should be well qualified to perform a lateral capsulodesis (tightening of the capsule).  Another option may be to change the implants for a larger and/or wider implant.  However, if the capsule is quite loose this may not be a good option without the capsulodesis. Check with your surgeon for their recommendations.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Techniques for addressing implant displacement

There are several techniques available for correcting implant displacement, if that is in fact what you have. Your plastic surgeon needs to evaluate you to determine if there is a true problem that needs correcting. I trust you selected your plastic surgeon because you trusted his/her expertise with breast surgery, so don't be afraid to ask tough questions to ensure he/she also has experience with revision/correction surgery of this nature. If you don't feel comfortable with the response, you might consider seeking out other opinions before you make any decisions. 

Determining the best approach for surgery

Have a discussion with your doctor and have them show you examples from previous patients. With respect to larger implants, this can only be determined with photos or an in-person evalaution.

Vincent Marin, MD

Implant displacement

An excellent question. Implant displacement is most commonly caused when the lateral boundry of the implant pocket has been compromised or over dissected. Several techniques are available to regain control of the pocket. Using textured implants can help maintain the position of the implant. Suturing the lateral breast capsule is one of the most powerful techniques to narrow the breast pocket. If the capsule is thin and is not strong enough to maintain the position of the implant a piece of dissolvable mesh or collagen sheeting can also be used. The most important point is to have a straightforward conversation with your plastic surgeon about his/her comfort with such an issue. Best of luck!

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Fix implants

I could not agree more with Dr Lentz below. 
You might print the plan and ask your plastic surgeon if they would agree with this approach. 
If yes, you will feel assured.
If no, you may want to seek another surgeon.
Best of luck

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

The displacement of breast implants out to your axilla can be corrected by placing Textured gel implants in a new pocket

Smooth wall implants, both silicone and gel, unfortunately have a very high incidence of sliding out laterally into the axilla wen the patient lies down. They also often will bottom out. The best way to prevent this is to use textured gel implants. If the patient already has this problem, the best way of correcting it is to exchange the smooth walled implants for textured implants and put them in a new pocket. By removing them from under the muscle and placing them under the breast is a good option. If there is too little soft tissue in the upper poll then doing a capsulectomy, and closing off the pocket laterally and if need be inferiorly with sutures and/or mesh and placing a new textured gel implant and using drains usually works well. Make sure your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon has experience with these techniques. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Ask

Simplest thing to do is ask your doctor if he or she has experience in fixing this problem and can show you pictures of the work.  Most plastic surgeons have done this and very often use some type of supporting mesh or ADM (acellular dermal matrix).  Good luck, Dr Schuster in Boca Raton