Can you give me some tips before and after labia reduction?

Hello I have been lurking for awhile.... Finally got my surgery date. Please give me tips for before and after.

How exciting for you that you are getting the procedure done. I am sure you will be happy with your results as it sounds like you have done your research. Your surgeon should have specific instructions in regards to what medications and supplements to avoid prior to your procedure to help decrease the risk of bleeding. In addition, I usually recommend ice application the first 2 days after your procedure due to the significant amount of swelling afterwards. Best wishes!

Labiaplasty

There are a lot of different techniques to performing labiaplasty and the best technique is the one that fulfills your goals. I personally prefer the modified posterior wedge technique that I developed for most cases. I believe its results give the most aesthetic appearance of the vulva and it improves sensual stimulation (see link below). Whichever one you decide on, make sure you pick a surgeon who is experienced in doing the procedure. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty

A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size. However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Preparing for labiaplasty

Best of luck, it sounds like you have given the procedure a lot of thought and should be very relieved once it is done. We have outlined information for post operative care and tips at the link below. Ice packs and warm water baths are always nice after surgery, in addition to pain medications. 

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Patients often find extra pillows useful to help prop their pelvis up during recovery to limit swelling, as well as arnica tablets and ice packs.  For hygiene purposes baby wipes or an irrigation bottle (sports bottle with an angled straw) are helpful.  Lastly, non-stick gauze or sanitary feminine napkins can help catch discharge to avoid soiling your clothes.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty aftercare

Hi. Attached is information about aftercare from my website; take a look at this and at other blogs for all the info you'll need regarding aftercare for a labiaplasty. HOWEVER, if your own surgeon has not given you understandable written & verbal instructions about your short & long term recovery, find another surgeon!! Our office supplies free a "doughnut" cushion, ice packs, telfa pads, Tucks pads, cu-3 hydrating cream, arnica tablets, disposable panties, sterile 4X4's, Dermaplast spray, and other "goodies" to all of our patients when they go home after surgery

Very best for successful surgery!

Michael P Goodman MD

Before & After Labiaplasty tips

Get yourself a cushion with an opening in the center so that when you sit you can keep pressure off the stitches. An airplane neck pillow will suffice. Get a spray bottle and hibiclens liquid soap to clean the area after using the toilet. Get loose baggy clothes to wear on the ride home.

Labiaplasty Tips

The labia heal very quickly, but are in a delicate region exposed to  trauma from walking, sitting, wiping, etc.
Most important to have a surgeon with experience and good technique and gentle handling 
of the tissues.
Avoid blood thinners prior to surgery, and afterwards be careful to protect the area from rubbing and 
pressure.  A donut cushion, soft pads(not rough liners), Bacitracin, squirt bottle and lots of ice gel packs.
No tight clothing, brisk walking, or sitting upright for prolonged periods for one week.

Consume fiber rich foods to avoid pushing and pressure to move your bowels.(pushing can lead to bruising)
Following these tips will ensure proper early healing and better long term results.

Good luck with your procedure.

Regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi

Village Plastic Surgery
Ridgewood , NJ

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Nothing special before or after!

This is a surgery that really heals up fast when done correctly. I have patients get some frozen peas ready and some bacitracin ointment and maxipads and a spray bottle for near the toilet. That's IT! Don't over clean the area and make sure you give yourself about 24-48 hours of chill time to recover before you do anything much at all!

Before and After

Ms Iblessed2

I believe the most important things is first finding a surgeon who has done 100's of labiaplasties.  That being said, if you are comfortable with your surgeon make sure you stop all over the counter supplements about 1 weeks prior to surgery..  What i mean by supplements examples:  Gingko, Ginsing, Garlic, Dong quad Black Cohash etc..... sometimes they will create prolonged bleeding and can make recovery difficulty for you.

All surgeons have different methods and instructions post operatively and if the surgeons has experience it is doubtful his instructions are absolutely wrong.  In my office we give a narcotic prescription along with Toradol (aka Ketoralac) as an anti-inflammatory which most plastic surgeons will not use after surgery.  This is a perfect example where most plastic surgeons will tell you absolutely not and Iwill tell you in my hands this is absolutely OK ( pending certain medical conditions) as I have been using it for 20 years.   Then will tell you to use Motrin 800 mg TID for the next 10 days after the Toradol runs out.  Ice to the labia for the first 48 hours or better yet bags of peas ( keep one in the freezer) as you use the other one for your surgical site and switch them out every 4 hours.   Of course when you are sleeping don't worry about it , try to sleep.  There is not perfect post op orders and if your surgeon is good try to listen to what he and his team suggest.

John R Miklos MD
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai