I have large lumps on my right side after breast aug. Is this normal? (Photo)

Hi. I had a breast aug with saline implants 1 week ago and so far I am happy with my result. I am concerned health wise however, about the patch of lumps under my arm. They are painful and pretty hard. Is this normal?

Breast augmentation

Swelling is normal after breast augmentation especially in the upper poles of the breasts. It can take months for the swelling to completely resolve. Its difficult to determine without an examine what the source of the swelling is without an exam. I recommend you see your plastic surgeon to check. 

Dr. Jan

Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Lumps under arm

I think that you need to be seen by your surgeon to determine what the lumps are. It is impossible to say without an exam.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Patches of Lumps

Lumps are always worrisome because they can be due to a multitude of things, some which are serious, some which are not. All new lumps should be treated with suspicion.

Lumps can appear due to capsular contracture, but it is too soon for a capsule to form. Lumps can also appear when the implant has ruptured or when parts of the implant broke off. This is unlikely so soon as well.

The lumps you are describing do not sound normal as you describe them as painful and hard. If the lumps are near the armpit area, then it may be that your lymph nodes are swollen due to an infection.

Without pictures, and in-person exam, no conclusive diagnosis can be made.

Please visit your board-certified plastic surgeon to have a breast evaluation, and if there is something suspicious, a mammogram may be needed. I urge you to not wait, and set up an in-person follow-up with your surgeon sooner than later. If they are unavailable, then please visit your family doctor.

Take care

Martin Jugenburg, MD