What can I do about spider veins on my face? (photo)

I'm an 18-year-old, almost 19-year-old, female. I noticed recently that I have spider veins on my face. I already have them on my shoulders and legs as well. It's my understanding it's genetic, and that it could get worse over time. This is something I hope to avoid. I plan on contacting my dermatologist, but any advice here would be very much appreciated.

Laser treatment

The tiny yet visible blood vessels in the superficial layer of the skin of your face, whe dilated, are called facial telengectasias ( telos = end + angeion= vesse + ektasis + a stretching out) .  As you have discovered, they may occur in any region of the skin of your body but, aside from their undesired presence, alone, they do not typically cause any medical problems. There are some rare hereditary syndromes associated with telegenctasias but, in the majority of people, they are most commonly associated with UV light exposure (sun and tanning beds), female hormones (birth control and/or replacement therapy), and the natural aging process. I have noticed many women developing these tiny capillaries after microdermabrasion treatments of the face (typically women whom have blonde/red hair, blues, and are of light complexion) as well individuals following nasal surgery.

Fortunately, these tiny blood vessels on your face are both treatable and manageable.

Of all the treatments I have used and/or seen that are available, I have found that the most effective and safe results are achieved with the use of a vascular laser (Ny:YAG), that specifically targets the pigment hemoglobin in the blood circulating within the blood vessel. The energy absorbed from the laser results in the immediate closing of the vessel and no more blood circulating through it.

Treatments with this laser take just a few minutes, discomfort is minimal, downtime is not extensive, and the treatments are effective. Typically only one, but sometimes two, treatment is all that is required. The satisfaction rate with this treatment modality is usually very high.

The reality is that you should expect new ones to pop up in different areas at some point over your lifetime, but these are easily addressed too. Remember: never forget to use an effective sunscreen!

Facial Vein Treatment

For small facial veins, I find laser treatments to be the most effective. To help reduce the appearance of further spider veins, avoid prolonged sun exposure and wear sunscreen, protective clothing, and hats.

Eric Seiger, DO
Fenton Dermatologist

Facial spider veins

There are many ways to treat facial spider veins including laser, IPL, radio frequency and for larger veins sclerotherapy.  Your physician could determine which is best for you.  Avoiding sun exposure would help to decrease their incidence. These veins, however, are a recurring problem.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Facial Spider Veins

Small facial spider veins are easily treated with a vascular laser.  There is a very minimal recovery time and a very low risk of scarring.  There is a strong likelihood you will develop more spider veins over time due to your genetics, and the laser treatment is truly "spot treatment" and not preventive.  

Michael A. Trauner, MD
Sacramento Dermatologist

Facial veins

Small spider veins are well treated with laser or radiofrequency devices.  If the veins are larger than 1-2 mm, I prefer sclerotherapy.  Sometimes laser treatments can take more than one session.

Genetics is a major factor.  Over time you will probably need more treatments, but with some routine maintenance you should be able to keep them at bay.

Good luck to you.

Dr. Powell

Scott Powell, MD
Denton General Surgeon

Facial Veins

Facial Veins are easily treated with a laser (either Nd:Yag or 532nmKTP). Both of these wavelengths are very effective for facial veins and other fine (not bulging) veins all over the body.