How long before my nipple sensitivity goes away?

I am 12 days post op. From Breast augmentation. My nipples are very sensitive, to the point that it hurts to the touch. I was afraid of loosing feeling but luckily that didn't happen. I just wasn't expecting them to be painful.

Hypersensitivity of nipples

are very common after augmentation and it will resolve but everyone is different so ask your surgeon if there are any maneuvers (I tell my patients to massage nipples several times a day with moisturizer) you can do to help resolve this sooner than later.  But realize that it will get better.

Nipple sensitivity after breast augmentation

I advise my patients that it is not uncommon to have a temporary increase in nipple sensitivity for about 6 weeks after surgery. This is because the nerve is temporarily stretched. During this time, things that may help include putting moisturizer on the nipple, anti-inflammatories, and putting some cotton in the bra.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

During the healing process, your sensation may continue to fluctuate. Hypersensitivity typically continues to improve over 1-2 months. There may be some dressings that your plastic surgeon may have or recommend to make your daily activity and clothing more comfortable during this transition.

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Sensitive nipples

Hypersensitivity of the nipples post op will typically diminish after about a month. You may want to place cotton pads over them to cushion a bit. Your Plastic Surgeon may recommend medication if you are really uncomfortable.

All the best

Thank you for your question. Typically it takes 6-8 weeks for the sensitivity to go away. There are various desensitization techniques you can perform to help resolve this feeling. For example, applying differing textures to the sensitive area. Speak with your surgeon for recommendations. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation - nipple sensitivity

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Actually, sensitivity is much more common than loss of feeling 
  • Typically it lasts 6 weeks.
  • Often placing a soft cotton ball between the nipple and bra helps a lot.
  • Ask your surgeon for other suggestions.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Hypersensitive the nipples after breast augmentation.

Hypersensitive nipples are due to inflammation. This may take 6 to 8 weeks to resolve decreasing in intensity as time passes. Discuss taking anti-inflammatory medication with your surgeon.

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon