General regional anesthesia? (Photo)

So is General Regional anesthesia safer for my breast implant surgery I'm having. I just want to be safe and honestly wake up and not have any complications again, I have low iron so the other surgeon said I should maybe get a medical clearance

Anesthesia

It is safer to undergo general anesthesia by board certified anesthesiologist or CRNA than it is to drive to the hospital. General and regional anesthesia are independent techniques. No approach has been proven safer or yielding better results. Best of luck. 

Anesthesia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

General regional anesthesia for breast implant surgery?

General anesthesia is very safe if done by a board certified anesthesiologist or certified registered nurse anesthetist. In my practice, I prefer intravenous sedation (by CRNA) and tumescent solution for regional (local anesthetic for the breasts). This operation is a bloodless procedure, needs to be done meticulously. I rarely loose more than 3-5cc of blood from submuscular breast augmentations. The bottom line is, that you have to trust your chosen board certified plastic surgeon and the anesthesia team working with him/her. Good luck with your surgery.

General regional anesthesia?

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation surgery can be done using various methods of anesthesia by different surgeons. So there are other options out there besides general anesthesia. That being said, the risks of general anesthesia in young healthy people are very minimal. Driving your car to the surgery is a greater risk to you than a general anesthetic!

As for your low iron, that depends on the degree of the iron deficiency and the anemia. A breast augmentation should be a very low blood loss surgery and should not make a large impact on your blood counts, so a mild anemia should not be a problem. If there is a question, get your blood counts done and have your primary physician give you a release for surgery.

Best of luck to you!

General regional anesthesia?

Best of luck to you!

Anesthesia for breast augmentation (photo)

General and regional anesthesia are two different approaches.  There is no "general regional" anesthesia, it's either/or.  You can have both regional AND general, but the only justification for that is if regional is incomplete, in which case it is analgesia rather than anesthesia.

The underlying issues, it appears, are trust and fear.  These must be resolved between you and your doctors, both surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Skeptical because of your previous adverse experience, your questions are appropriately answered by those to whom you are now entrusting your care.

Safety of general anethesia

You're smart to think about all components of your surgery including anesthesia. It's important to consider the entire surgical team when selecting your surgeon. After all, even the best surgeon can't do it all alone. It takes a team of equally qualified anesthesiologists, nurses and hospital staff to deliver safe, high quality surgery. Make sure that the hospital is accredited and your surgeons and anesthesiologist are both board certified. Your surgeon should work together with your anesthesiologists to develop an individualized treatment plan to optimize your safety, comfort, and results. It's best to stop smoking and be in your best possible health before surgery. Best of luck with our surgery. 

Safety of general anethesia

Anesthesia

You should always get a medical clearance for a surgery, I usually do High epidural block for my breast enhancements, this gives me the best post op analgesia and its a really safe procedure.

Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss what will be the proper treatment to achieve the result you desires.

Regards,

Dr. Luis Redondo

Anesthesia

Regards,

Dr. Luis Redondo

Its the person looking after you which counts

Hi and thank you for that fantastic question. I think it is so sensible to think about your surgical safety.
My simple answer is that it doesn't really matter. What counts is whether there is a specialty trained doctor looking after you while you are asleep. In Australia there are several companies offering cut price breast augmentation. One of the ways that they save on costs is to have the doctor who is doing the operation, also administer the anaesthetic. In my opinion this is so dangerous. I know I can not properly concentrate on performing an operation as well as making sure the patient's oxygen saturations and blood pressure are under control. 
As long as there is a properly trained anaesthetist looking after you a regional anaesthetic with sedation should be just as safe as a general. I would certainly refuse to have surgery until I have met the anaesthetist though!

I hope that helps
All the best 
Dr Sam Cunneen
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Perth, Western Australia

Sam Cunneen, MBBS, FRACS
Perth Plastic Surgeon

I hope that helps
All the best 
Dr Sam Cunneen
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Perth, Western Australia

Sam Cunneen, MBBS, FRACS
Perth Plastic Surgeon