I have a physical job. May I go back to work after procedure?

Resume Physical Activity

You may absolutely go back to work after a MonaLisa Touch procedure! Only sexual intercourse would need to be delayed for 48 hours after an internal treatment and 7-10 days following an external MonaLisa Touch, depending on your reasons for treatment.

Return to Work

There is no restriction on phyical activities, other than no intercourse for 24-48 hours for the internal treatment, and 7 days for the external treatment. If you have had internal treatment you should be able to return to work immediately. The same goes for the exteral treatment but you will need to wear a loose fitting cotton undergarment, and loose fitting pants(skirt is no problem), for a few days. Also, application of topical anesthetic cream (we use 5% lidocaime cream) to external genitalia may be necessary for 2-3 days. 

Christopher Fontenot, MD, FACS
Lafayette Urologist

When can I go back to work after MLT?

There are no restrictions after MLT treatment with the exception of no intercourse for 24-48 hours.  I have been performing the MLT procedure for the past year and my patients have reported minimal discomfort which tends to resolve in

Patrick Nosti, MD, FACOG, FPMRS
Shawnee Mission Urogynecologist

Limited restrictions

After the internal treatment with the MonaLisa touch, the recommendations are no intercourse for 2-3 days. You can resume your normal activity as soon as you leave the office. For patients that have additional vulvar laser therapy with the MLT laser, it is recommended to refrain from intercourse for one week. Additionally, there may be some vuvlar sensitivity for a day or two after vulvar treatment, so it may be uncomfortable to perform certain activities. Patients do well with the application of ice/cold packs immediately after external treatment and are instructed to coat the vulva with Vaseline or Aquafore until the sensitivity has diminished. My patients tell me this was only necessary the first day and for a few lasted into the second day, but it did not limit their ability to do normal activities. Some physicians request no strenuous exercise for 2-3 days after, but this is not an absolute requirement and will be dependent on how your are feeling. Obviously, if you are experiencing vulvar tenderness you will not want to have tight fitting yoga pants on or have anything rubbing or pressing on the vulva. 

Kelley London, MD
Lake Forest OB/GYN

Mona Lisa Touch

Great question.

you may fully return to activity after your treatments except for sexual intercourse for about 1 week.

Christopher Balgobin, MD
Minneapolis Physician

Return to work

The first treatment is amazing well tolerated. The second and third treatment penetrate the tissue a little deeper. During these I have  found a few patients may feels a little more discomfort and need ice after the procedure for a few hours. We all have different tolerance for discomfort. I recommend returning to activity that is physical the next day. I usually have office hours as late as 7 pm to accommodate people's busy lives.

John Hettiarachchi, DO, FACS, FPMRS
Charlotte Urologist

Work after the MonaLisa Touch

You may absolutely return to a physical job after a treatment. Most of my patients come over their lunch hour for their 5 minute treatment. Lidocaine jelly can be applied after an external vulvar treatment for added comfort. 

L. Jennifer Murphy, MD
Valparaiso OB/GYN

Yes, you may.

Because the treatment is so limited, there is no anesthesia and there really is no downtime, you can go back to work the same day. 

You may experience some external discomfort for the first 24 hours if external treatment is done, so you may wish to use some ibuprofen or numbing cream if that is the case.  You may also have a little discharge, so having a pad handy is a good idea.  

I hope that helps!

Rebecca Dunsmoor-Su, MD

Rebecca Dunsmoor-Su, MD
Seattle OB/GYN

Return to work after MonaLisa procedure

Yes you may return to work.  I do suggest waiting 4 days for vaginal sex activity after a treatment.

Restriction of activities after MonaLisa Touch (MLT) treatments

Women who have the intravaginal MLT treatments have no discomfort following the procedure and may immediately resume all activities with one restriction. They are advised to not insert anything into the vagina for 48 hours. 

Following an external treatment, there may be more discomfort, but again, they can resume there normal routine activities.

Charles R. Hanes, MD
Mobile Urogynecologist