How exactly is a double bubble repaired? (photos)

I am scared that it is going to be as painful as the original ba. Please help me understand how it is performed and what the down time will be. Will this repair give me symmetrical nipples? They were not like this prior to surgery. I have 330cc silicone under implants. The double bubble appeared as soon as my swelling subsided after surgery. The pics are 10 week post op. I know it is mild and was hoping the the repair would not be extensive. Thanks

Double Bubble Repair

The pain, symmetry and nipple position after double bubble repair are difficult to predict, unfortunately.

Double bubble repair

There are different surgical techniques to correct the double bubble.  
Please ask your plastic surgeon about his/her surgical plan.
Although the repair may not be too painful, there will be restriction of activities/exercise for 4-6 weeks.
Have an open communication with your plastic surgeon and learn about your surgical options, risks, benefits, limitations, and post-op protocols.
Best regards.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Revision Surgeries

Your surgeon will be the best person to speak with re: revision options, but, in general, they involve either tightening the capsule so that the implant sits higher (which would address your nipple asymmetry) or adding fat to the crease to disguise the double bubble. In terms of the capsule repair, it is definitely less painful that your original surgery. Hope this helps, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Double bubble repair

There are multiple ways ro fix your double bubble.  These include repositioning your implants higher on the chest and fat grafting the crease mist likely.  Good luck!

Sacha Obaid, MD

How exactly is a double bubble repaired?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing after breast augmentation surgery. I think you will benefit from revisionary breast surgery which will likely involve capsulorraphy ( internal suture repair). This procedure serves to reconstruct the lower poles of the breasts and prevent migration of the breast implants too far inferiorly. Associated issues with positioning of nipple/areola complexes should improve with this operation.

These types of revisionary breast operations tend to be less painful than first-time breast augmentation surgery. However, postoperative activity restrictions are very important when it comes to the success of the operation, in my opinion.

Generally speaking, the use of acellular dermal matrix or bio synthetic mesh for patients in your situation may be helpful occasionally. This material may be helpful as a supportive matrix and help with the breast implant displacement/malposition you are experiencing. I usually recommend their use depending on the patient's anatomy ( for example quality/elasticity of the involved skin) and past surgical history.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery  helpful to you as you learn more.

Double bubble repair

The correction of double bubble deformity entails returning the stretched out portion of the lower pole of your breasts back to the chest wall and briefing up the bottom portion of the breast capsule. I will most of the time add a piece of Strattice that is sewn from the bottom of the muscle all the way to the bottom of where we want the inframammary crease to be. This will disallow the implant from migrating below this point in the future. This will certainly be easier if you would go to a smaller implant. I recommend you discuss these options with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Repairing a double bubble

Thank you for the question.  A surgical revision would be need to repair a double bubble but generally, its goal is to repair the implant capsule.  Best to ask your plastic surgeon on what options are available to you.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Repair of double bubble

As others have pointed out, there are several ways to repair a double bubble.  Probably the easiest way is to create a new pocket either above or below the muscle.  Tacking the fold back down can sometimes help and that method may make your nipples more even.  It shouldn't be as extensive as the first surgery.  Best of luck

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Double bubble

To repair the double bubble, the capsule has to be repaired. You might also consider going with smaller implants. Best of luck.

Correction of a double bubble after breast augmentation.

I think the simplest solution is to move the implant from the sub muscular to the sub glandular position. This will take the pectoralis muscle as a vector of force out of the picture. The infra mammary fold does not need to be separately reestablished when the pectoralis muscle is reattached to the chest wall.