If I got breast implants, at what age would I have them removed?

I would like to get implants. I know the only reason you replace is if you have an issue or what to go larger but most women who have them do get revisions from normal wear down. I've heard 10 years is typical for replacement but know this is not an exact science. I don't want to be going in to get new breasts in my 60s. Can you help give me an exit plan strategy before I take the leap and get implants? I only want to do it if it makes sense!

Breast implants and when to replace them

Thank you for your question.  Breast implants are made extremely well these days and it's hard to say when they need to be replaced.  I have removed breast implants that are 20 and even 30 years old and they have looked just fine.  Therefore, I can't give you an exact date as to when you'll need to have your implants revised.  A breast augmentation is a safe and reliable procedure when done the right way.  We could discuss the details of the procedure during a consultation.

Kind regards,

Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Implants and expiration?

There are no expiration dates on implants once they are placed. Some patients can have them for a lifetime, but most will need  a 2nd or even a 3rd operation for replacement for many different reasons.

Age when breast implants must be removed?

Hi, there is no routine schedule for breast implant exchange, or age when they must be removed.  I have patients in their 60s or older who have decided to get them for the first time.  You are correct that there is a chance that more surgery might be needed in the future, so this should be taken into consideration before you decide whether the operation is right for you.

Routine Imlplant Exchange or Removal

Currently our best recommendation is that if you are not experiencing any problems you do not need to remove or replace them.

Bryan Criswell, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Implant change

The answer to your question is no one knows for sure.i have seen implants leak in under a month and others after 30 years.Leakage does slowly increase the longer they have been in,but many women have their original implants.I strongly am in the camp that if the patient is happy and no evidence of rupture or other problems they don't need to be replaced on a schedule which I think sometimes is a scam for extra income.You will also change overtime with age, possible pregnancies,hormonal and menopausal changes.These time changes might also influence the need eventually for implant change or lift

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Many people recommend changing the implants after 10 years, but if you don't have a problem or a deflation I would wait until there is problem with the implant. Furthermore, if you change the implants prematurely the warranty wont apply and you'll be paying out of pocket for the implants. Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

Dr. JSB

Longevity of implants

There is no exact science to breast implant lifespan. We would hope your implants should last 30 years, in light of what we can extrapolate from earlier experience with earlier generation implants. At that point, you could have implants removed and replaced, maybe remove and get a lift, maybe just remove them. You will see where you are at that point.
Take care!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

At what age would i need to get breast implants removed?

In Florida, we have a lot of retirees.  You would be surprised how many women are getting their first set of implants in their 50's and 60's & even 70's.  People who remain healthy and active continue to want to look their best for their entire life!

Breasts are like moving targets and will continue to change throughout your life.  You will be guaranteed another surgery or two in your life if you get implants.  I have seen women with implants that are 30 years old.  Most of the time that implants are removed are because the patient isn't happy with the overall appearance of her breasts due to aging, weight gain/loss, hormonal changes.  

I think it is reasonable to say that life expectancy of an implant is 10-20 years.  However, your breasts are likely to change dramatically in those 10-20 years with or without implants.

I hope this helps!

Breast implant exit plan

Hello emcunn. Thanks for your question. Here in Arizona I have a lot of retirees and you'd be surprised how many keep the breast implants even later than their 60's. Some breast implants can go beyond ten years, which is a conservative estimate. Perhaps you can enjoy your first set of breast implants 15 years and then get second pair for another 15. At 57 you can have these removed before you get into your 60's consistent with your goal. Hopefully this works for you. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD