After a Mommy make-over, do you gain weight everywhere else?

I am planning on having a mommy makeover in March and I am worried about the weight gain in other areas in the future. I already have quite large arms and I'm worried that they're going to get bigger in time. Of course I plan on being healthy and working out consistently, especially after the surgery. But being somewhat of a realist, I know that life happens and I don't want to look like the Incredible Hulk with the tiny waist ha ha. Anyone have any experience with this topic?

Weight gain post mommy makeover?

Well, ideally, you want to be at a maintainable weight prior to surgery so that you aren't running the risk of gaining post operatively. But if you do, not, you won't just gain weight everywhere else. You will simply gain weight. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Weight gain post op

If you maintain a healthy, stable weight after surgery there is no reason to expect an imbalance or shift of weight gain to other parts of the body, however if your arms are a problem area, perhaps you will benefit from discussing arm Liposuction with your Plastic Surgeon as well.

All the best

Will you gain weight elsewhere after Mommy Makeover?

Yes, Lots of experience with this topic.  
No, You will not just gain weight everywhere else after a Mommy Makeover.   You should not gain at all unless you give up your current routine of diet and exercise.   If you maintain your current routine, you should maintain your new weight and figure.  

What most patients don't understand is that liposuction removes fat cells.   You typically don't make new fat cells.  When you gain weight, they get bigger.  When you lose weight, they get smaller.  They don't multiply and they don't go away on their own.  Liposuction removes them.  therefore, you will never gain as much in the area you have liposuctioned as you would have if you had not had liposuction.   With that being said, if you gain weight, the fat has to go somewhere.   If you have a lot of fat cells in your arms, you might gain there.  There is no way to know for sure where it would go IF you gain weight.  The most important thing is maintain your weight and remain in good health.  

Adjustments can be made in any plan to reduce the risk of these occurrences.  The operation should be tailored to your specifications and anatomy to produce a dramatic result. Seek out a plastic surgeon who has performed these combination procedures hundreds of times and has a great number of reviews and before and after pictures.

Beverly Hills, CA

Weight Gain after mommy makeover

Thanks for your question.  It is possible to gain weight in your arms and other areas after a mommy makeover if your calorie consumption is more than your calorie expenditure through activity or exercise.  If your arms have always been a problem area, perhaps discussing with your plastic surgeon options of either adding liposuction and/or arm lift/brachiaplasty to your mommy makeover.  Best of luck!

Gaining weight after a Mommy Make Over

Thank You for your question.  As with any cosmetic surgery there are possibilities of gaining weight post operatively with out incorporating any lifestyle change to diet and exercise.  Now with that being said you may want to consider having liposuction performed on your arms as an additional procedure to your Mommy Make Over.   Discuss your concerns and options with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  I hope this helps and Good Luck with your Mommy Make Over! 

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for that often asked question. Obviously, whether you have any procedure or not you can gain weight wherever you have fat cells if you eat more calories than your body can burn. With that being said I generally see that my mommy makeover patients are by far the happiest and the most motivated to not only continue to lose weight after their procedures but to keep it off. One of the biggest reasons the ladies report this is that they say that their stomach muscles are tightened giving them this inner core strength that many report never having had before. This motivates them to stay in shape and feel strong from the inside out. Of course each person is individually motivated and will experience varying results over the years after their procedures. But having a personable Plastic Surgeon and Staff to follow up with you over the years is also helpful. 

You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discuss your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure in person and what to realistically expect. Then you can make an informed decision on which procedure(s) to start with according to your desires, recovery time necessary, your history and current health. Surgery is very rewarding for our "Mommy Makeover" and all our patients.

Weight gain

As long as you utilize as many calories as you consume, you should not gain weight. This becomes harder for many people as we age as energy and activity diminishes and food intake stays the same or goes up.  Staying in good shape is not easy !  

Wieght gain after mommy makeover

If your arms are disproportionately large  you may want to consider liposuction of your arms along with your mommy makeover.   The idea that you have a more even distribution of fat cells and weight gain and loss is not in one problem area.  It is certainly possible that with or without mommy makeover surgery your arms may get heavier I wouldn't let that discourage you from having your surgery.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon!   Good Luck!

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Weight Gain

I appreciate your concern, but I believe you are a bit confused. Some people wrongly think that after liposuction, their fat will "move" to other places. Not true, since fat cells are removed during lipo, weight gain after surgery will be less in the area liposuctioned, but fat does not travel. In your case, Tummytuck is different and weight gain will decrease the degree of improvement after surgery. Try to stay fit with a healthy diet, and you will enjoy your results for years. Good Lick! 

Robert M. Tornambe, MD