What kind of lift do I need? (Photo)
Doctor Answers 11
Cheek lift candidate?
Although the photos you have enclosed are a good representation it is still not a substitute for a clinical exam. Judging from your photos you would benefit at least from submental lliposuction. You would also appeared to benefit from Lipo suction of the Jowl area. The real question is whether you also need a cheek lift to take up the loose skin. The amount of elasticity and sagging in-your-face cannot be judged from a photo. So therefore to determine whether lipo suction alone or cheek lift surgery with liposuction is your best option you should see a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in facial plastic surgery
Chin implant surgery has long been touted as a simple operation that reliably gives good results.
The adequacy of chin projection should take into account several variables including sex, the effect of occlusion on lower lip position, the thickness of the chin pad, and the depth of the labiomental fold. When these variables are not considered, implant augmentation may result in a chin that is unnatural and too large, particularly in a woman.
Cheek Lift Considerations
It has become an epidemic among Hollywood's finest where their unrecognizable visages are overwhelmed with excess cheek volume. Cases of this include Lindsey Lohan, Joan Rivers and many more. In reality, this epidemic stems from two issues;
- Newer fillers like Volume and Sculptra are easy to use and add volume for those patients that are losing facial volume over time (this is a good thing).
- People see the improvement from the outset and get addicted thus losing all judgement when it comes to looking natural.
The concerns about mid face stem from several aging issues occurring as we age.
- The lower eyelid sags leaving a poof of excess skin and muscle at the lower edge of the eye. This is the first component of the shadow that makes people look old and tired.
- The cheek mound sags as a result of gravity, tissue stretch and muscle pulling (smiling, eating, smoking) that results in the cheek mound sagging toward the floor and toward the mouth (down and in). This sag results in a hollow just below the eyelid, creating a depression that we call the tear trough. With the shadow above and the depression from volume loss the tear trough is the prime component of a tired mid face.
- Increased pigmentation around the eyes in those of darker complexion makes the entire aging process accelerate.
- Finally, the muscle that surrounds the eye, called the orbicular oculi muscle can get swollen in some people. This swelling, called a festoon, is very difficult to treat.
What are the treatment options.
- Volume replacement (Voluma, Fat grafting, SculptraRestylane Lyft) are large molecule fillers that can add volume where volume has been lost. Many people say that these fillers lift the Midface, however I am of the opinion that no lifting occurs but the camouflage give the appearance of lift. The downside to these fillers is that with the exception of fat, the fillers are denser than the fat it replaces and as such, during the normal smiling movement, the filler reacts like an unnatural lump of clay and not so much like the cheek fat it is designed to replace.It is this overreach that makes people look like monsters. My advice is to use volumetric fillers as a subtle improvement to restore contour, not to create a cheek mound that did not exist previously. Furthermore, my choice is to use fat grafting, especially in the tear trough and around the cheek because it is soft and mimics the tissue characteristics of a normal cheek (a natural smile).
- Cheek Lift - a cheek lift or mid face lift is one of the easiest and shortest recoveries of facial rejuvenation surgery. This is ideal for putting the sagging cheek tissue back where it belongs. It will lift the cheek up and outward, lift the marionette lines and get rid of most problems along the jawline. The cheek lift will NOT correct the tear trough along the inner 1/2 of the under eyelid, and for that reason a cheek lift is often joined together with fat grafting to create the best, most natural results.
- The pigmentation that some people get around the eyes can be improved with skin lighteners, but this is a temporary fix and will need to be used continuously. There is no other treatment that adequately gets rid of tis problem.
- Finally, Treatment for festoons is not great. In the earliest stages, application of Preparation H can help. As they get worse, some filler at the inferior edge can camouflage the ridge. At its worst, direct excision of the skin and underlying muscle can make it go away, but with the scar. For some patients, this is a good trade-off.
You might also like...
What kind of lift?
If it's something you think about on a daily basis, set up a consultation or two with a board certified expert in your area and see what options they suggest.
Do I need a lift?
What kind of lift?
You don't need a facelift
If you haven't already, then speak with a plastic surgeon to perform an examination and review options with you.
Neck lift and chin implant
There is a small amount of fat in the submental area, may be some fullness in the jaw line, mild nasolabial fold.
Examination of the neck to determine whether the submental fat is above or below the muscle. If above the muscle then a liposuction done expertly can improve the area, liposuction along the jaw line may help.
Fillers or fat in the nasolabial area done expertly may soften the nasolabial fold.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.