Which weight surgery is best for me?

I am 5'5" 230lbs size 21. I am 18 years old. I have been doing a lot of research and I am still confused as to which surgery I should do. Initially, I was thinking Liposuction with a tummy tuck. I do want kids in the future but I want my tummy to be very tight and flat as possible right now.

Weight loss surgery

Liposuction and abdominoplasty are body contouring surgeries. Typically not much weight is actually removed. It sounds like you would be better served by a gastric sleeve surgery (although a lap band or gastric bypass would also work). Once you have lost the weight then an abdominoplasty would help to contour and remove the extra skin.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss pre tummy

I would recommend you consider a gastric sleeve type of procedure to lose 70 or so pounds.Lipo and tummy are not a substitute for that.Once you lose the weight then diet and exercise would be great.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss surgery

Neither liposuction nor abdominoplasties are considered weight loss procedures.

They are considered body contouring procedures.

Your best bet may be to deal with your weight separately, whether it is by lifestyle modifications or surgical intervention, such as a lap band or gastric bypass.

You may very well be a good candidate for a skin-only abdominoplasty for liposuction.

With a skin-only abdominoplasty, pregnancy in the future should not be impeded in any way.

Without an examination, it is not possible to give a accurate treatment plan.

A few thoughts on weight loss:

While liposuction is generally not prescribed as a treatment for obesity, most patients who get liposuction are somewhat overweight.

From having met thousands of people interested in liposuction, I have had ample opportunity to talk to many people about their struggle with weight.

A few repeating patterns seem to emerge.

Perhaps the most common one is people not eating frequently enough. Losing weight by not eating is a fallacy. In reality, we tend to overeat after having gone hungry.

Another common misunderstanding is the relationship between weight and exercise. Most patients are not successful at losing weight by exercising without changes in diet. Weight is 90% diet. Exercise has to do with fitness.

Think of diet and exercise as two separate entities with two separate purposes.

That said, I encourage everyone to exercise on a regular basis.

The majority of people get hungry from working out and tend to overeat afterwards, sometimes feeling justified to do so after a strenuous workout.

The number of calories burned during a typical workout session is far less than people believe.

Any successful weight reduction program has to be based on permanent change. Any temporary diet plan will ultimately fail if not followed by permanent changes in behavior.

Understand the role that insulin plays in obesity and what causes insulin surges. If you read the late Dr. Atkins' book, you will learn that his obsession was with controlling insulin much more so than with eliminating carbohydrates.

Learn about the glycemic index and glycemic load. Avoid eating meals that give a high glycemic load. This is somewhat similar to saying avoid eating large carbohydrate-based meals, though understanding what foods constitute as bad carbohydrate meals is critical. This will be learned after mastering the concepts of the glycemic index and glycemic load.

Here are my rules to keep weight under control:
  1. Never go hungry.
  2. Never eat a large meal.
  3. Never, never, never eat a large meal when you're hungry.
  4. Avoid large carbohydrate-based meals.
  5. Don't expect exercise to get your weight down and don't blame the lack of exercise for not being able to maintain your weight.
  6. Step on the scale every day after you get out of the shower in the morning.
  7. Accept weight fluctuations. None of us stay at the same weight or continue to go down in weight. 
Don't beat yourself up if you gained a few pounds. It's the long-term, rest-of-your-life progress that matters.
I hope that is of some help.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Looking for best improvement of abdomen

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• Although liposuction will remove fat from the tummy, you will not be able to get a flat tummy without losing a lot of weight.
  • The tummy tuck and liposuction are not for weight loss
  • But - bariatric surgery definitely is something to consider.
  • Ask your regular doctor to refer you for a consultation to have this done.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Which weightloss surgery is best

Thank you for your question. Your BMI is around 37. Liposuction or TT are not the best options at this moment. Please see a qualified Bariatric surgeon to discuss the options. I do perform good number of post bariatric body contouring surgeries. What I have noticed recently is Gastric sleeve is more common than others. But if you have any diabetes or other metabolic issues they may suggest Gastric bypass. So please see a bariatric surgeon. Thank you

Which weight surgery is best for me?

Gastric bypass or gastric sleeve, NOT a TT... You are over weight and after weight loss see how the skin shrinkage would appear...