Do textured implants pose a greater risk of infection?

I've read that bacteria has a higher chance of growing on the surface of textured implants. If so, how can this be prevented? Or is it better to go with a smooth surface implant?

Greater risk with textured implants

Anytime an artificial device is placed in the body, there is always a potential risk for infection.Whether a breast implant is textured or smooth is less important with respect to post-op infection risk than following sterile technique during surgery and performing the surgery in an appropriate environment such as an operating room.It has been scientifically proven that antibiotic irrigation of the breast pockets also significantly lessens the risk of post-op infection.Speak to your plastic surgeon about which breast implant type he or she feels is best for you.

Textured implants

Thank you for the question and the risk of infection with any type implant is extremely low so the surface of the implant should not be a determining factor in your choice of implants.  With submuscular placement of a round implant there is also no increased benefit using a textured surfaced implant.  At your consultation though your surgeon, after examining you, should fully inform you about implants and which one is right for you.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I appreciate your question.

I have not seen an increased rate of infection with textured implants.

I am a national trainer and educator for the anatomic implants and part of my lecture is to explain that the most projected implant per volume are the anatomic implants.  With Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture. Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Increase infection with textured implants

Thank you for your question. No, not to my knowledge textured implants do not have a higher risk of infection. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Increased risk of infection with textured implants

Although there is thought to be a slightly increase risk of infection with textured implants, that increase in risk is so small that it is rarely considered a reason to avoid their use.  In fact, in Europe textured implants are used almost routinely.  In my practice I tend to reserve textured implants for revision cases due to their decreased risk of capsular contracture.  Hope this helps!

Problems with textured implants

Thank you for your question. Textured implants are more expensive, have a higher risk of rippling (and maybe rupture) and have a slightly higher risk of infection. The only supposed advantage is a lower risk of capsular contracture but that is primarily if the implants are on top of the muscle which I believe is a mistake. You are probably best off with smooth implants under the muscle. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Your research is correct but the %s are very small! I prefer smooth because of the wrinkling issues!!

Thank you for your question. I have not seen an increase in infection rates in patients with textured implants. For several reasons I use smooth implants preferentially.

Textured implants and infection

In my experience this has not been a problem from the standpoint of developing an infection post op.My first option is to use smooth implants and in select cases I use textured.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon