I have had a mole on my back for years. It has been getting more painful with time. (Photo)

What is it? I have taken a normal resolution picture and some with a 22X digital microscope

Cosmetic Mole Removal -- Lasers, Radiowave, Shave -- See an Expert

Moles can be removed quite easily in the office if you are concerned. I suggest seeing an expert who can remove this with the least amount of scarring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Mole removal

If it is causing you concerns, then you should get it removed. Your family doctor is the best starting point for advice. Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

Lesion on the back

Thank you for your question.  The lesion in the photo looks like a wart.  There are multiple over the counter treatments for warts that include paring the wart to be mostly flat and applying salicylic acid nightly.  Your doctor can also treat it with liquid nitrogen.  In rare occasions a squamous cell skin cancer can be at the base but it does not seem likely based on your photos.  I recommend for you to see your doctor if the over the counter medications do not work after 3-4 months.

Lisa Zaleski-Larsen, DO, FAAD
San Diego Dermatologist

Needs A Deeper Look

Your photographs are lovely,but they hide the real issue -- the skin lesion that is under those scales.Any skin lesion that is changing or is painful should be examined by a dermatologist -- board certified preferably.  A biopsy will probably be needed.There are lots of qualified dermatologists in Florida -- the state is brimming with them!

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

My mole is painful and changing with time

When lesions change or grow or become painful it is best to see a professional for proper diagnosis. Though I appreciate your cool microscope photos what we actually look for is under the upper skin layers. So the cool close-ups aren't all that helpful in diagnosing. We need to see the lower skin layers for proper diagnosis, which are done with a biopsy. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Changing and painful lesions

Thank you for your question and photos. In my opinion, any changing skin growths should be evaluated. Lesions that look like moles can be actually be other types of growths that we get as age or could be malignant (cancerous). So I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your lesion evaluated and to discuss treatment options that best suit your needs. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD