I have mitochondrial myopathy. I now have a lipoma growing ever larger from my belly button. What to do?

It now has some bright red areas, painful areas where it exits the umbilicus. In 2009 I was diagnosed at Sloan-Kettering with liposarcoma. I had many enlarged lymph nodes scattered in the retroperitoneal mesentery and a lesion in my lung. I had a large heterogeneous mass in and around the cecal valve. Within a month ,with the same radiologist and with same machine, and the results were now good. Thank you. Rose PS: My dog will not leave the large lipoma growing from my belly button alone. Thank you. Rose

Umbilical mass may be a hernia

The umbilicus mass may be a hernia, a lipoma, liposarcoma, or other mass tumor. I would suggest a ct scan.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Thank you for your question.  Due to your liposarcoma history I would favor returning to your original treating doctors at Sloan-Kettering for a follow up examination of your umbilical lipoma.  They can not only provide you with definitive treatment but also ensure that this is not a sequelae from that original sarcoma.  Best wishes.