Botox on the forehead. Is there any pain after you have the injections done. How many days will it hurt afterwards?

Botox is a comfortable treatment

Thank you for your question honeybuns12. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions such as those on the forehead. The treatment is very comfortable for most patients. The needle used is very small, similar to that used when doing a TB test on the forearm. I have designed a painless technique to maximize our patients' comfort. I have never had a patient complain of discomfort after a treatment. Bruising, while infrequent, is the most common side effect. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Minimal pain expected with Botox injections.

Botox injection is not associated with much pain in most cases when an experienced injector is performing the treatment. Usually a very tiny needle/syringe like that used to inject insulin is used and this minimizes discomfort. I have injected thousands of patients and I myself have had many injections and I can tell you Botox doesn't hurt much. Just find someone who knows what they are doing. 

- Dr Patel

Does treatment with Botox hurt?

Thank you for sharing your question. When performed by an experienced injector, the pain of injection is minimal and resolves quickly. There are techniques which diminish tenderness and bruising that expert injectors utilize. I hope this helps.
Good luck,

Pain after Botox?

Thank you for your question. A very small needle is used so pain following botox injections is minimal. You may experience mild tenderness, redness, and swelling. These side effects are related to the injection itself. However, it should resolve within a couple of hours. If necessary, pain can be reduced by applying an ice pack.

Sore Head

There may be some slight soreness after Botox, but anything that involves a needle can do that. The needle is very small, but it still leaves some very short lived tenderness. It is not recommended to rub the area; you don’t want the product to migrate. Just be gentle and give it a little time. Results are usually evident within 2-3 days.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Botox Side Effects

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. The most common SIDE-EFFECTS of toxin injections include: Swelling, Redness, and Bruising at the site of injection. Complications are rare and only temporary, but may include paralysis of other nearby muscles, temporary eyelid ptosis (dropping of eyelids, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), temporary brow ptosis (dropping of eyebrows, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), cross-eyes, ectropion or edema of the lower eyelid, dry eyes, double vision, transient headaches (10%), local numbness (lasting 2-3 weeks), flu-like symptoms, rash at the injection site, pain at the injection site, infections, and bruising (need to avoid blood thinning medications). Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area. Only take Tylenol if you get a headache or migraine.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Minimal discomfort with Botox treatments

Thanks for your question. I perform numerous Botox treatments every single day in my office. If done with a gentle touch, there is minimal discomfort with Botox treatment. I use a very small needle that helps to further enhance comfort. Typically there no pain after treatment. 

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox / Dysport / Xeomin on Forehead Wrinkles

Pain related to Botox should be brief and only related to the injection itself. Many of my patients have no discomfort.  Botox takes 10-14 days to see optimal results. Having an experienced injector is extremely important. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox and Pain: What to Expect

Thank you for your question.  Botox treatment involves little to no downtime, usually none, which is one of the main reasons why the treatments are so popular.  There may be a few seconds of very minor pain at each injection site during injection, but this resolves quickly.  There is typically no pain afterwards.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes!

Pain after Botox

There should be very little discomfort after injection of Botox. the product that is injected is mostly just saline and the needle is extremely small

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist