Almost 5 weeks post op and still collecting fluid. Could this be a long term issue?

I had drains in for 1 week. Been aspirated 3 times on my right side since: 2 weeks ~25CCs, 2.5 weeks ~15CCs, 4 weeks 17CCs. Last time was 4 days ago I can feel a little fluid building on right side again. I am concerned, but my PS said if it gets to that amount again he will leave it alone. I am still wearing comp. garment and dressings as well. At this point will this turn into a long term issue? shouldn't it have stopped by now? Can it be prevented? I need to get back to normal activity soon.

Fluid Concern 5 Weeks Post Male Breast Reduction

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Drains after gynecomastia excision.

I personally use drains for gynecomastia excision only about a day or two. I'm not sure what would call for longer use.Seroma formation after gynecomastia is treated by sequential aspiration's in the surgeon's office. It should have no long-term consequences.

Fluid collection

Thank you for your question. Usually the fluid collection stops in a few weeks. However, it is not unheard of for this to sometimes continue for a couple of months, depending on the extent of your procedure. It always stops eventually. The best thing to do is to stay in close contact with your Plastic Surgeon and have him/her aspirate the fluid as needed until it stops altogether. As long as it is treated appropriately, it should not have any negative effect on your final results. Best of luck

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon