I would prefer to try something minimally invasive first, but maybe I need a full tummy tuck? (photos)

Round tummy after 2 children --it's got to go! I have a round belly that is here to stay after giving birth to two almost 10 pound babies. I am very close to my ideal weight, but I still look pregnant. I am unsure which treatment will provide the best results.  Thanks!

Treatment for your abdomen

Hi  Arborbella,  From your pictures and your history of being close to your ideal weight, the appearance of your abdomen is stretching and separation of the muscles during pregnancy.  An abdominoplasty may be the best procedure for you however the exact treatment would be determined during a consultation and based on what would give you the best result and what outcome you are expecting.  There are pros and cons to both liposuction and abdominoplasty. These would be discussed and help you decide on what is best for you.

Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

People who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.
A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Two issues exist. First is the excess skin from the pregnancy and abdominal wall laxity that can really only be corrected with an abdominoplasty but, if scars are a problem, then, based on the photos presented here, liposuction may allow an improvement that you could be happy with, and if you aren't, then you can always hage a tummy tuck later since you won't burn any bridges with liposuction alone. In any,case, seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is texperienced in these techniques. Have a great day! Dr Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

The BEST result to Flatten the Tummy of a young mother of Two 10 pound babies

Most experienced Plastic surgeons have seen your situation HUNDREDS of times.

You do NOT "look pregnant" because you are fat. You look pregnant because your tummy muscles have been PERMANENTLY stretched and separated by your huge babies and NO matter of exercise or noninvasive treatment short of a well-done Tummy Tuck can re-tighten these muscles. IF you are happy with the flatness of your tummy when you lay on your back (looking down gently), this flatness CAN be regained with a Tummy Tuck because the operation, IF well done, will keep  the tummy contents from pooching forward and inferiorly when you stand (and the muscles give you.

Plus, what could you and millions of women like you do if you suddenly did not have to constantly go through life sucking things in AND had a flat tummy with a regained hourglass figure?  I'm sure much more pleasant activities await you.

Good Luck

Peter ALDEA MD
Memphis, TN

Still looks pregnant

From seeing your pictures, and in my experience, you probably have a very wide separation and laxity of the abdominal muscles after the stretching of pregnancy. There is no other way of remedying this other than a tummy tuck. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I would prefer to try something minimally invasive first, but maybe I need a full tummy tuck

without examining you it is difficult to say 100% but a minimally invasive option is likely not going to yield a flat abdomen.

Julio Garcia, MD

I would prefer to try something minimally invasive first, but maybe I need a full tummy tuck?

Based on your pictures, and having 2 large children, a minimally invasive procedure is not likely to give a great result. Consider a tummy tuck if you are done having children. 

See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

Based on viewing your pictures, you appear to be in pretty good shape but have some muscle separation and laxity from two big babies. Your muscle wall being separated is what is giving you the rounded belly look. Unfortunately the only way to fix that would be some form of a tummy tuck so that the muscle walls can be sewn back together.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction and with or without abdominal muscle repair. They produce different degrees of improvement.

No matter which procedure that you decide to undergo, it is advisable that you should wait until you are finished having children.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Options

Thank you for the question. You appear to be a great candidate for a mini Tummy Tuck. This would allow your surgeon to flatten the abdominal muscles, remove excess fat on the abdomen and a small amount of excess skin as well. The incision would be placed low, below the bikini line, and is usually shorter than that of a full tummy tuck.

Often, after childbirth, abdominal muscles are separated and this can allow the tummy to bulge out. As well, excess skin can contribute to the look of a pouch. You will need to be examined in person so that your Plastic Surgeon can determine the best approach to meet your needs.

All the best