14 years post-op - severe pain around my nipples.

Also why why do they go to my arm pits when sleeping. I had them done 14 years ago. Severe pain, burning nipple pain snd they fall undsr my arm pits. Why is that happening ?

Schedule an Appointment With a Surgeon

Breast implants aren't designed to last a lifetime. The symptoms you describe indicate it may be time to either remove or replace your implants. Severe pain, including a burning sensation in one or both of your nipples, could indicate an infection. The movement of the implants also indicates the need to meet with a plastic surgeon, particularly if that's a recent development. In general, breast implants that are 10 or more years old may need to be replaced. Good luck.

New Pain After 14 Years

Any new symptom after this long requires an exam in person. You should return to your plastic surgeon (or find a new board certified plastic surgeon if needed) for this. You may have something as "simple" as implant displacement, but you could have something more concerning that needs to be checked out. The most likely cause is what you described - implant displacement, moving further into your arm pits, when lying down. This can cause irritation of surrounding structures, such as nerves and muscles in this area. It's also probably time for an upgrade to new implants after 14 years.  Best of luck to you.

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Implants - nipple pain after 14 years

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

Since you have these new symptoms, you need to see a plastic surgeon for an examination. You may have capsules around your implants causing the nipple pain and implant displacement. If your original surgeon is available, it is best to return to her/him.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant issue

If you are having issues right now, then you are best to go for a consultation.  Best of luck with your implants.

14 Years Post Op

Thank you for your question. It sounds as though the implant pocket has loosened over time and your implants may be malpositioned. Your nipple pain could be unrelated. You should be examined in person to determine what is going on.

All the best

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your implant related issues.  Because of this acute change in pain, and no photographs to help guide a recommendation, I would see your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  They should be able to provide a diagnosis for both your nipple pain as well as what sounds to be an implant malposition if they are falling into your armpits.  Best wishes. 

Capsular Contracture

Lauren.   Physical exam needed but your problems may be caused by scarring around the implants called capsular contracture. See a board certified plastic surgeon ASAP, especially if the pain came on suddenly. Best of luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast changes.

I think you are talking about 14 year old implants.  If you have submuscular implants the force of the pectoral muscle pushes them outwards over time. To some extent this is normal. The burning discomfort may not be related to the implants themselves but should be checked out by your PS.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon