Polly-beak at 8 weeks? (Photos)

I had closed rhinoplasty 8 weeks ago. I'm concerned about pollybeak deformity. I think there is scar tissue on the bridge as well, as there is a weird bump, then a soft dent just underneath the bridge. The supra feels firm, I'm worried that it's not just swelling. Is it too early to discuss steroid injections with my surgeon to improve these issues? I did have a hump removal, is the bump is just scar tissue that will go away? Also, my nose seems to be curving to the right, which it did before.

Results

I know that it is frustrating to not have your final results at 8 weeks post op, but your body is still healing. It is quite probable that these issues are due to internal swelling which will go up and down as you continue to heal. For now, be patient and kind to yourself as your body continues to recover. If, at 6 months post op, you are still not happy with your results then schedule an appointment to see your surgeon and discuss options.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Result: 8 Weeks

Remember that you are very early in the healing process and your tip is still swollen.  I do not see evidence of a pollybeak at this time, but would encourage you to stay in close contact with your Surgeon for reassurance.  

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from rhinoplasty and evaluating your result

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. 

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. At 8 weeks, you've only finished the first phase of healing. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Polly-beak at 8 weeks?

Discuss with your surgeon. Your tip appears swollen but not a Polly Beak. Without seeing pictures of how it looked before surgery, it is hard to comment. It takes months to see the final result. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Polly beak?

I do not think that you have a polly beak based upon the photos. Also you are likely still pretty swollen at 8 weeks.