What is the best option to tighten moderate loose skin in tummy when core is strong and not much excess fat?

I have had 5 kids so I have some loose skin on my tummy. I workout quite intensely and have a very strong core. But my hard work can't really be seen due to the loose skin. I hate the idea of a full tummy tuck because of the scar. I have heard of a mini tummy tuck and was wondering what the difference in scar size is or if there are any other scarless options.

Tummy Tuck Option

Your operation has to be custom fitted to you with all options discussed.  Only a consultation with a certified Plastic Surgeon can fully assess all aspects of your deformity.

Three tummy tuck options

A mini tummy tuck will just address the lower portion of your abdomen below your belly button.  The mini scar is really only about 1.5 inches shorter on each side.

A full tummy tuck will remove more skin, with a slightly longer scar, and will allow the surgeon to tighten skin above the umbilicus.

There are some hybrid procedures called umbilical float etc. for some patients as well.

Tummy Tuck options

The only way to treat excess skin is to excise (remove) it. This can be in the form of a skin-only or mini-type tummy tuck, depending on the amount and location of loose skin.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Best solution for skin laxity

For your athletic way of life I will recommend a tummy tuck the scar issue is important for patients and surgeons, However in my opinion I will not sacrifice the length of your scar for the final nice result.  If you are caucasian you have less possibility of scar problems and its position varies depending on your underwear and bikini model, so it will be hided.
glad to help

Dario Felipe Cabello, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Scars

Hi Myn3wl1f3
Thank you so much for your question.  It would really be helpful to see what your tummy looks like, as there are various options which depend of what the presentation is.  If indeed, it is just loose skin, it could certainly offer you broader and less invasive options however, I would imagine, after the joy of 5 pregnancies and births, that your abdominal muscles have separately, which would mean you would be fighting a losing battle, if you would like the flat stomach and hour glass appearance.  The scar for either full or mini-tummy tuck, can be minimised and very well hidden, it so often depends on the surgeon and their technique.  I would encourage you to consult with a few, preferably found by recommendation and have a look at their before and after portfolio, it will give you a good idea of what you can expect.

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Tighten skin

Smart lipo and thermi tight can tighten skin without cutting. They do have limitations and will not tighten muscles.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to determine if you are a candidate and to discuss your options and expectations.

Scar size

Hello. Scar length can be equivalent for both a full tummy tuck and a mini-tummy tuck. Your needs can only be addressed with an in person consultation. 

BEST Tummy Tightening for a Mother of 5

Having 5 full time pregnancies comes with irreversible permanent changes in the woman's body:
- the tummy muscles are stretched AND separated from each other both along the front and along the sides 
- the acuity of the hourglass is dulled and becomes more masculine as the muscles are separated
- excess skin is created resulting in the pooch 
- the excess skin results in a variable sag of the pubic mound and upper anterior thighs 

while exercising and toning your separated and stretched abdominal muscles allows you to better suck things in, it cannot take the place of surgical muscle tightening. The vast majority of women hate being photographed in profile because of the muscle excess and laxity producing the ever present and sucking provoking mommy tummy/muffin top. I have operated on many athletic women with "tight cores" ( one would do 1,000 sit-ups each morning) and every one of them had muscle stretching and separation and benefitted NOT from more exercising or a poorly advised MINI Tummy Tuck but a well executed full Tummy Tuck which would correct ALL the changes caused by pregnancy. 

Peter Aldea MD
Memphis, TN

Full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction

It sounds like you would be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction. This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.

Mini vs Full Abdominoplasty

Without pictures or an in person examination, it is impossible for me to say what will work best for you.  However, the difference between the two is best thought of as follows - a mini tuck really only addresses loose skin below your belly button.  A full tummy tuck will address the entire abdomen.  If you have looser skin above the belly button, then a full tummy tuck may be in order.  I hope this helps.