What is most natural looking: moderate profile or high profile silicone implants?

I have breast feed two children and needless to say I have saggy breast. I'm 5"4, 130 lbs and my diameter is about 13. My current breast size is 34b. I'm looking at getting 500cc high profile silicone implants. But having second thoughts that I should 1 go smaller in cc and 2 have moderate profile.

Moderate profile vs High profile implants

Moderate profile implants are the most natural-looking.This, however, depends on the patient’s size and the desired implant size.The new “gummy bear” implants are very natural looking, especially for someone who does not want to go too big.I would discuss your options during consultation with a Plastic Surgeon.

If you want to look "natural," 500cc is a bad choice

Just be honest with yourself.  What do you think is "natural?"  There is nothing natural about a 500cc high profile implant in a thin patient.  My typical implant on someone such as yourself would be 355cc moderate plus profile.  I have a reputation in my area for having very natural looking breasts and it's because I don't use huge implants.  But it's all in the eye of the beholder.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

In my opinion moderate profile plus breast implants look more natural than high profile. However with a breast base width of 13 you are likely to require a 375-400cc in Moderate Profile Plus implant. For more information on breast implant profile and to see Before and After photos of each please read below:

What implant would give a natural result.

Any of the implants can give a natural look. It all depends on the patient's desire and body structure. In general for your size a moderate plus would be a good choice. But an in person exam is the only way to give a definitive answer. All the best. 

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Selecting the right implant to achieve the most natural looking results

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr.Basu
Houston, TX

Implant choice

Choosing the right implant for you is difficult to suggest without a proper exam and discussion in person.  If your breast envelope is very tight it can be difficult to place large implants.

A moderate plus or moderate profile implant will have a larger diameter when compared to a high profile implant. A high profile implant will also give you more projection  and more upper breast volume than the same size moderate implant. Hope this is helpful.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. This can be a difficult question without evaluating you in person, however, based on the size of the implant you are choosing, a high profile implants would likely be a good choice as this would match the diameter of the width of your breast which is the ideal goal. Implant volume change occurs when the implant either increases in diameter or projection. If the diameter is excessive, this may violate the natural base of the breast and either be too high or too wide. However, the higher the projection,  the  less of a natural contour the breast tends to have.  Like all choices, there are pros and cons to each style.

Also, if you have drooping as you have indicated, you very well may need a breast lift. Using an implant to compensate for breast ptosis can often be result in long-term disappointments especially with a larger implant, which will absolutely expand and thin the skin overtime. Also, with the added weight, this can make the drooping worse over time as well. As I tell my patients, I would rather have a small breasts that looks good than a big one that doesn't. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Profile

As a general rule the lower the breast implant profile the more natural it will look. (less upper pole fullness) This is influenced by numerous other factors as well so it is not an absolute. But when you already have some degree of breast sagging you want to be careful with using high profile implants.

Mid or High Profile Breast Implants

Thanks for your good question. I don't have the advantage of seeing you in person or reviewing your photographs but in general I believe your inclinations are correct. I would recommend a mid-profile implant and a smaller size implant if you would like more natural body proportioning. This of course depends upon your size, height and breast dimensions but are generally good principles in my opinion. Discuss your options carefully with your plastic surgeon and if you have any doubts seek a 2nd opinion. Best wishes, Dr. Jon Perlman

Jon A. Perlman, MD