What kind of filler should I get for my cheeks? (photo)

After losing over 125 lbs, somewhere in there I lost any limited cheek volume that I had in my younger days. I recently posted a question about wether or not I would need a chin implant at the same time as my upcoming rhinoplasty and a kind doctor pointed out that not only were my cheeks uneven, but they didn't make me look feminine. Now I am considering cheek filler Is that setting that can be done while I'm under? And which filler is bestOf course, I will ask my board certified plastic surgeon

Doctor Answers 4

What kind of filler should I get for my cheeks? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am  a fan of voluma.. It maintains projection better than other HA fillers and is said to last longer. I don't see a terrible problem in your face BTW

Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Cheek Augmentation Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In reviewing your pictures, you have weak bone structure in the cheek region. You have something call a negative vector where the eyeball comes out farther than the cheek bone. This is a common appearance in patient with weak bone structure in the midface or cheek region.

You have a few options to improve the shape and strength of the cheeks:

1) Non-surgical cheek augmentation
2) Surgical cheek augmentation

Non-surgically, almost any filler can do a good job at augmenting the area. There are some fillers that will last longer but I believe the ultimate appearance of the cheek is more based on the injection technique and placement of filler than with the type of product. With that being said, Perlane and Juvederm Voluma are great products in this area and the longest lasting options. If you have thin skin, I prefer to use Restylane. Sculptra can also be effective in the area.

Surgically, cheek implants can permanently improve the bone structure in the area. It would require surgery that has more risks and some downtime, but can give a great result.

I hope this helps.

What kind of filler should I get for my cheeks?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While different surgeons have 'favorite' types of fillers, I use Perlane frequently for cheek augmentation.  Fillers are great, but have to be repeated each year.  Some people may benefit from cheek implants.  These are permanent, but require surgery.  Since you are having surgery, you may want to discuss this with your surgeon.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
One of the most exciting new fillers designed for the cheek is Voluma. It is made of the same hyaluronic acid found in Juvederm and Restylane. It has a slightly different formulation which makes it longer lasting. In some cases, Voluma can last up to 2 years. It is easy to use, is done in the office, and has immediate results. Voluma is an excellent way to add volume and shape to the cheek area.

John Diaz, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.