Can my eyelids be made symmetrical? (photos)

My left eyelid hangs lower than my right. It's gotten worse through the years. It is very noticeable when I look down but is always visible. My face looks very uneven. Even others have said things to me about it. I really hate this feature and would like to know if blepharoplasty could give me even looking eyes.

Blepharoplasty

Thank you for your question. A blepharoplasty - or eyelid surgery - can remove skin and excess fatty tissue which can create a more even appearance of the eyelids. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Eyelids

Asymmetry of the eyelid position is very common and it is often related to a condition called eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid). However thyroid gland malfunction can also result in eyelid asymmetry of the eye opening by making one eye to protruding more and your right eye is protruding very slightly. Ptosis correction is something most of us do very frequently. However, please make sure that your medical doctor checks into your thyroid gland activity.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

You have ptosis in your left eyelid.  It would be worthwhile to get an evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon.  Hope this helps and best of luck!

As noted by others, you have upper eyelid ptosis.

This is corrected with surgery.  Fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons have the largest body of experience in correcting this.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that will help you find a highly qualified surgeons.  There are excellent surgeons for this in your area.

Ptosis of the left upper eyelid

Yes, your eyelids may be made symmetrical. It appears that the levator muscle has dehisced on the left and allowed the lid to droop. There are some specific measurements on examination that would confirm your diagnosis and make sure that no other process is present. If this is ptosis secondary to levator dehiscence, then the best repair is performed through a blepharoplasty incision with reattachment of the muscle to its insertion on the tarsus. This surgery is a bit more complex that blepharoplasty because of the need to reattach the muscle and assure that the curve of the lid margin, the crease of the eyelid, and the eyelid fold are symmetric when compared to the right side.  An Oculoplastic surgeon could help you with this. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

You appear to have a condition call ptosis affecting your left eyelid. This can be repaired surgically, utilizing either an external incision on upper eyelid or an internal approach under the lid. Be sure to consult with an experienced eyelid surgeon who performs this procedure regularly. Good luck! 

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

You seem to have ptosis on the lower side. This can often be corrected through a blepharoplasty incision. Best to see a specialist.

Blepharoplasty for uneven eyes

Thank you for your question .

• you may have more than just excess upper eyelid skin. Your left upper eyelid skin appears to cover part of your pupil, unlike the right side . During the exam I would try to determine if the muscle that raises your eyelid is working properly . If it is not, I would recommend fixing it.

It appears from the pictures, that you would benefit from a blepharoplasty. 

For more information please watch the attached video. I hope you find this information helpful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Upper eyelid droop

Your have left upper eyelid ptosis, or a drooping eyelid. A ptosis repair can correct the problem. The incision can be placed in the eyelid crease or from behind the eyelid. 

First, an evaluation is required as there can be serious causes of eyelid ptosis that must be ruled out. It's bestill to seek an eyelid specialist or oculoplastic surgeon.  

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven face and eyelids

Thank you for your question. We do not have absolute symmetry in our body. Think of your face as artwork with asymmetric balance. The esthetic surgery will improve your looks, but does not change your genetics. In my 30 years experience, the facial surgery patients have been happy, and the recovery takes about a week. Good luck on your treatment..Dr T Narsete Denver Plastic Surgeon