Is blistering normal after my first Picosure Laser Tattoo Removal? (photos)

The laser specialist said there was a possibility of redness, swelling, and blistering but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I got my laser on Friday and it's Monday and I still have huge painful blisters. I want to know how to treat this ugly things so I won't have nasty scars. Please share your advise and stories!!

Blistering & PicoSure

Thanks for your question. It appears that you are having a bullous reaction from the heat of the laser. With any laser this is a risk but uncommon for them to get any larger. Your tattoo also looks very dark but as you do more treatments the blistering should subside. Be very careful not to pick at the scabs or do further treatments until it has healed entirely. Should it worsen you should contact your doctor immediately to avoid infection. Hope this helps.

Blistering after PicoSure tattoo removal treatment

Blistering is not as common after PicoSure tattoo removal treatment as it is after treatment with other lasers, but it does happen.  If it does happen, it is less and less likely to happen with each subsequent treatment.   We always recommend that tattoo removal patients avoid heat on the treated area for 24 hours post-treatment, and consider using ice, especially for the 1st few hours.  Blistering is more common on the  lower leg and foot than on the upper body because of reduced blood flow. The blisters should  be treated like those from a sun burn; do not puncture (pop) them.  If you must, use a sterile needle to drain the fluid, but keep the overlying skin otherwise intact and in place to protect the healing area.  We  recommend keeping it elevated as much as possible and avoid heat (hot tub, hard cardio workout, working outside in Texas in August, etc) for 24 hours after laser treatment and as long as you have blisters.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician