My BA moved down... need new surgery?

My BA moved down.I done the surgery in August,2014.My right breast was bower me often. I was feeling something wrong.In couple months, went to doctor, he said don't worry. Now its hurting me much and I always feel uncomfortable, especially without wearing the bra. Went to see doctor again. He said it drooped and implant moved.Need a new surgery and I have to pay for all hospital charges. Why it's moved? Does it mean doctor did something wrong? Is my problem and I have to pay?

BA moved down... need new surgery

It is possible for an implant to move out of the expected position. It may also be in a good position but in a position that you do not like. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. With surgical procedures there are many complex variables with regards to healing. It is impossible for a surgeon to perfectly guarantee a result. Your surgeon will be able to work with you2 what strategies may improve the result if possible. It is a common practice in most cases for the patient to assume the responsibility of part of the cost if a revision is necessary.

Implant dropped

It sounds as if your implant dropped below your IMF. This can happen. Every surgeon has a different policy on revision surgery, but it sounds as if yours is only charging you for the hospital fee. Which means waived his or her own fee. This is pretty common. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implant Malposition

It sounds like from your description that your implant has migrated too low in the pocket that was created for it.  While this is not common after primary breast augmentation, it can happen and can easily be dealt with with a small touchup revision. Each plastic surgeons policies for the costs inherent in these revisions can be different. It's my opinion that the possibility for revision and what the expected costs would be should be delineated to the patient preoperatively so there isn't this surprise and disappointment when this unlikely event does happen. I hope your final result is great. Good luck. W

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Implant malposition

Unfortunately implants do not always heal correctly despite the best operative technique.  It is not an indication that something was done wrong, but often does require revision.  Your surgeon is asking you to cover the costs for the facility and anesthesia but is likely not charging you for their services.

My BA moved down... need new surgery?

I appreciate your question.

From your description, it sounds like the implant dropped below the IMF.  This can happen with breast augmentations and is most likely related to your particular anatomy.  It can easily be corrected surgically.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Implant position

Thanks for your question. Yes, sometimes a breast implant can migrate slightly to a position lower than would be ideal. That does not reflect a problem with the surgery, but usually more related to your particular underlying anatomy. There may be some options to avoid the costs of general anesthesia, so you might talk w/ your surgeon about the chances of doing this in an office setting. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Implant bottoming out

Sounds like that is what happened, bottoming out means it dropped below the IMF , it can happen with breast augmentations, and can easily be repaired surgically.

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast augmentation–likely bottoming out

From what you described, it sounds like your breast implant may have bottomed out. That basically refers to the implant moving downwards, or inferiorly, into a lower position than is desirable. It does not necessarily mean that a surgeon did anything wrong. This is a known possible complication in any patient undergoing a breast augmentation.
Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Bottomed out?

I think you are describing a bottomed out breast implant.  Some patients are more prone to this based on their anatomy and size chosen.  Most likely the surgeon did not do anything wrong.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast Implants and Bottoming Out

Thank you for your question about breast implants. Pictures would be helpful.

Without picture, the answers that you are going to get will be speculative in nature.

To be sure, return to see your surgeon or see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have breast implant and related surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS