I want to ask something. I wonder, do hair follicles really die? How long does it take? 3-4 years? Thanks a lot!

Thanks for your query.
No hair follicles don’t die but after procedure like laser hair removal or epilation or waxing, there is perifollicular fibrosis which causes hair reduction.
All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Do all follicles really die?

Hello, thank you for your question. I'm guessing that you are inquiring about Laser hair reduction. Laser hair reduction is just that, a reduction (significant) reduction of active follicles. It can not be guaranteed to be 100%, nor can it be guaranteed for a lifetime. As you age and your hormones change, your hair growth will also change. Depending on the area being treated, the treatments are spaced apart between 4-8 weeks. That being said, laser hair reduction is also a series of treatments, usually 6-8 treatments. If you were planning to do your legs or trunk, you would come in every 8 weeks, this will take about a year to complete the series. The time between treatments is based on the growth cycle of the hair. The face, bikini and underarms have a more rapid growth cycle, therefore you will come in every 4 weeks. This will take approx. 6 months to complete treatment.  It may be necessary to complete touch-up treatments periodically over the years following treatment.  I hope this answers your questions.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon