Is CoolSculpting % fat loss in an exponential curve in consecutive treatments?

I will have cool sculpting applied when I am at an ideal weight (I lost around 60 LBS and more than ) and will wait the ideal weight for the cool sculpting do its work effectively. Reason I do not want bellies if I again gain 70 Lbs for health reasons (insulin resistance etc.) . So I will have it applied when I have no bellies; there will be no way to see if it worked or not. How many times should I have it applied to lose around 80% of the belly fat cells?

Multiple treatments with #CoolSculpting

Dear derwan:

The reduction of fat with each CoolSculpting treatment is additive rather than logrithmic. Each treatment will reduce the number of fat cells by 28% when treatment is performed correctly. The only way a higher percentage of fat cells will occur is if the fat layer during the first treatment is too thick to allow the skin to be taken up fully into the applicator. Then, with the next treatment, the skin will slide more completely into the applicator and a larger number of cells will be eliminated. This is really only an issue with obese patients, to whom I recommend weight loss before treatment for the best results.

So you should have more than 80% loss of fat cells with three treatments. 

Dr. Clark

% of Fat Loss

CoolSculpting is able to reduce fat thickness approximately 25-30% with each treatment.  However if you have multiple treatments in on area, you have a chance of further contouring the area.   There is no guarantee that more than 40% of the fat will be lost.  Getting to an ideal weight is a good idea, prior to having your treatment, and after!

Eric P. Bachelor, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting fat loss is more Proportional than Exponential

Your question is difficult to understand.  .  It would be nice to see a picture. If you already lost 60 lbs is it my understanding you want to do the coolsculpting in order to permanently lose fat cells in your abdomen so you won't get a "belly" in case you gain weight again?  Coolsculpting leads to up to a 25% loss in fat per treatment but it does not mean you will lose 25% each treatment.

Also it is important to have a consultation with a provider to see if your are a candidate and that you have adequate fat and not loose skin.  But coolsculpting does not provide for exponential fat loss which implies that each iteration is going to lead to a greater fat loss than the one before

Hope this helps

Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thank you for your question. With CoolSculpting, a patient can loose up to 25% of fat cells each treatment round. If some treatment area overlap, you may lose slightly more. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and determine if you are a good candidate. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpt now

Congratulations on your weight loss! You should be proud of your accomplishment. You no longer need to wait until you are near your ideal body weight to undergo Coolsculpt treatments, so you may want to schedule your personal consultation soon. Just be aware that Coolsculpting only treats the fat under the skin, not the fat around the abdominal organs, known as "visceral fat." It is the visceral fat which is "metabolically active" and influences insulin resistance, so Coolsculpting will not change your risk for such health-related issues. Keep up your good work...both on the outside, and in!

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon