Why inject Juvederm everywhere around lips but not lips themselves? (photos)

Got juviderm for the first time yesterday, I know swelling etc, but I bought a syringe and she injected it above my top lip not in it, and injected the rest below my bottom lip but not in it. I know to give it two weeks for swelling to go down but I didn't get any where I wanted it, I wanted full lips not fuller above and below my lips. Is it normal to inject that much below my bottom lip to lift edges? It's so lumpy when I grin which is how I smile, help!

How best to enhance lips with Juvederm

Thanks for your question!  First of all, keep in mind if you are only one day out from your treatment, the swelling is at its worst right now, so you will see lots of improvement.

There are indications for placing the filler both in the white lip as well as the red lip.  Based on what you are describing and after looking at your pictures, I would indeed have placed the filler more in the red lip than in the white lip.  I use a cannula for the majority of lip enhancements, which helps reduce swelling and bruising.

I would make sure you have a follow up with your injector in 2 weeks and discuss your concerns if you're not happy with the results.  Dont' be afraid to see a second opinion.  Your injector should be able to share lots of before and after photographs to make sure you can get an idea of the quality of their work.  

Best wishes, MKB

Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not all injectors are the same

Juvderm can be safely injected into (substance) lips. It really depends on comfort level of the provider. Injecting along the border of your lips will give more of a pout (possibly ducky) look. Injecting into the substance of lips will give more of a fuller look. I find that the many providers are either afraid or not trained to inject properly. You will also need to bear in mind the length of the cutaneous (white) lip. If the cutaneous lip is long, this needs to be addressed first prior to any injections for the optimal result (more so with older patients).

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why inject Juvederm everywhere around lips but not lips themselves?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  There are a few indications for placement of fillers into the white portion of skin around the lips but to increase overall lip volume the filler material needs to be placed into the lip tissues themselves.  I would recommend reaching out to your injector to discuss your results and review your desired outcome.  If they do not appear to understand your goals seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Injection technique and amounts injected are the major issues with lip filling. Best to find a true expert to advise and re do your injections. I offer 2 sessions 10 days apart to make sure the results are great!

Lip injections....

Thank you for your question.  It is not unusual to bolster lip injections with injections into the cutaneous or dry part of the lip to upturn the corners of the mouth or smooth out wrinkles above the lip, however this would be performed after actually injecting the lip to increase the volume as you desired and typically would require another syringe of Juvederm.  I suggest you follow back up with your physician and discuss with them your expectations and what their treatment approach was.  If you are not satisfied please follow up with a board certified Dermatologist for further evaluation and management.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

JUVEDERM and support.

Thanks for the pictures. It is still early days following your Juvederm injections, so things can settle down. Massage 2-4 times per day over the next few days. It is hard to comment as to what the injector and you are aiming for, a before picture will help. 

In cases where there is marked volume loss, I often lay the foundations prior to treating the lips or other areas. This means I may use a longer lasting filler such as Juvederm Voluma or Volift to key areas, as a support structure, then bring the patient in 2-3 weeks later to add to the support. This gives the best results. 

I suspect your injector had this in mind, so my suggestion is to have that conversation with her. You can always get a top up in areas where you want it most. 

kind regards

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Location to inject Juvederm in the lips

When I inject Juvederm in the lips to augment them, I always place the filler within the red lip itself to make the lip more supple and full. I believe this does not change the shape of the lip and restores the lost volume in the lip region. I perform lip augmentations using a blunt tipped micro-cannula. I believe this method in my hands produces the best result while limiting bruising and swelling. The good news about your filler, is that it is reversible. If you are unhappy after resolution of the swelling in your lips, you could have the Juvederm removed.

I hope this helps

Lip Injections and Fillers

It appears that your lip filler may have been placed too far away from your lips. I would wait for the swelling to go down and then return to your treating physician for examination.  It appears that you need to have more filler into the body of the lip and may need to have this filler dissolved if in two weeks it doesn't look good.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip injection

It looks like your injector didn't listen to your requests. I agree it does look like she/he did not inject the lips directly.