Hair transplant - is it likely that I have lost grafts with the hairs that came out when I scratched my scabs?

I did scarched my scabs out on the 9th days postop my hair transplant. Is it likely that I have lost grafts with hairs that came with scabs?

Hairs with Scabs

It is unlikely that 9 days post op you lost any grafts.  In general you will lose the grafts that did not survive within the first few days. By day 9 the grafts are set and it is difficult to damage.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scratching the Graft Crusts

This can cause grafts to come out. Clearly, if they did you would see it. Scratching is a no no, for any hair transplant at any time as it potentially can cause loss of grafts in the first few weeks and infection after that

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op growth

If you pull on your grafts or if the grafts are not placed correctly you may lose some grafts with the first couple of weeks.  

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you scratch your scabs you may hurt your grafts (but likely not)

If you scratch your scabs you may hurt your grafts (but likely not).  It is always a good idea to follow up with your doctor for a recheck if you are concerned. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The hair is still there

This is a normal progress after the hair restoration between the 1rst and the 7th week when we face the phenomenon of apoptosis (falling) of hair follicles which were implanted. This hair though regrows from the root after the 7th week gradually.

Anastasios Vekris, MD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Scratching 9 Days After Hair Transplant

Transplanted grafts are considered part of your skin after the first 5 days and it is very unlikely that you have lost any grafts at day 9.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

DAY 9 post transplant - can any harm be done to the grafts?

At day 9 post transplant, it's actually hard to do much wrong in terms of post op care. The grafts have committed to their new sites by day 5-8. The new programming has begun to produce a new hair. You'll want to check with you surgeon for specific recommendations on post op care and ways to help you reduce scratching, but mild, limited scratching at day 9 is unlikely to do much harm.