Which one should I get Fue or Strip? (photos)

This is the link of the ques I asked before. My surgeon is an expert in strip but has also been doing Fue. I am 19. Which one should I get Fue or Strip? I have heard that strip has better result and damages donor area less than the Fue does. Advice needed. Thanks 4 ur time you guys have been of great help throughout.
To see the previous question, please click here.

FUE or Strip

With any experienced surgeon the results between FUE and FUT can be similar.  The differences are that usually with FUT you can obtain more grafts in one session.  The other main difference is the risk of a linear scar with the FUT. If the doctor you met is an expert in strip and not FUE, then it may be worthwhile to spend the time speaking with someone who is an expert in FUE or both procedures in order to help make the best choice for you. Finally, at age 19 I do not recommend a hair transplant procedure just yet.  I would recommend medical management of your hair loss until you are a little older.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Which is better Strip of FUE

Both are good procedures. I have written extensively on this and many of my writings are listed in the link below in the web reference. The key is to get a good doctor and an experienced team who have track records of successful transplants over many years. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

19 is young

At this stage I would consider Rogaine and perhaps even Propecia. If you graft this early and continue to thin you will potentially have an unnatural hair pattern. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Hairloss in young adult

My concern is your age and the degree of your hair loss.  I recommend that you start on a medical,regiment to slow down your hairloss. As you get older and your hair loss pattern Is more established you can consider hair transplant. A good hair transplant specialist should offer both options and customize his recommendation based on your situation and what is best for you.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Focus on results unless the scar bothers you.

FUE is just a method of harvesting grafts. FUE is a great surgery but most people who want the FUE is mislead
into thinking it is the best surgery. FUE still leaves scars

Many doctors push FUE or Neograft or ARTAS claiming "no scar" or "minimally invasive".
Many doctors dissuade patients from strip surgery asking "why would you want a big scar".

I was an engineer working with Dr. Rassman in 1998 (before I became a doctor) . My work involved a concept of
a robot which would use a special optical sighting system to align the hairs for an automated FUE. This work
became U.S. Patent 6572625 that we licensed to the ARTAS robot. Similar technology from our U.S. Patents are
used in the NeoGraft. I perform FUE in my practice with my hybrid FUE instruments, ARTAS, or even NeoGraft.
My point is that I am very familiar with the FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft, and all forms of harvesting hair
follicles.

Your focus of surgery should be on RESULTS. Not how a doctor takes out the grafts. From a donor scarring
perspective, you keep your hair LONG (in the photos) so scarring from both surgery should not be an issue.
Choose FUE if you ever want to shave your head one day.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's more important for you to stop progressive hair loss. Any type of transplant won't stop you from losing more hair

I think there is no single transplant surgeon who will disagree that there is a greater yield of hairs in the strip method versus the FUE. FUEs are almost the way a hair transplant was done in 90s with punch grafts, but now they’re just smaller punches. Another disadvantage of FUEs is that by design, you have to go outside the genetically resistant hairs area. People are not getting the density that they want, they lose a lot of hair from transection or cutting of the grafts, and not getting the yield that they were hopeful for. This has already been proven by the International Society for Hair Restoration that 65% of patients want more density.

As someone who has lost so much hair at a young age, you have to think about what you would look like if hair loss continues years from now. Your hair transplant area is limited and therefore your donor area cannot meet the amount of hair needed to cover the scalp.

Currently in the United States, finasteride and minoxidil are the two drugs used for male pattern hair loss. Finasteride is a drug that is taken orally. It essentially affects DHT or dihydrotestosterone sensitive hair follicles. If your hairs are DHT sensitive, you will respond to finasteride. However, many people are concerned about the long-term sexual side effects or dysfunction from taking finasteride. In our practice, most men who come in are not interested in taking finasteride. Topical minoxidil is not going to stop the progression of hair loss. It can prolong the appearance of thinning hair on the scalp so it looks like there is more hair, but it will not reverse hair thinning.

In our practice I would offer you Hair Regeneration, a method that we developed using a combination of extracellular matrix (ECM) and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) to stop and reverse hair thinning wherever there is existing hair. This is very different from what is currently the standard of care for hair loss. For most male pattern hair loss patients, they learn about hair transplant and then they look for the best possible transplant. But understand that no matter how old you are, hair transplant is a limited and temporary solution because you will progressively lose hair. Many people don’t even consider transplant because they don’t want a pluggy look. A majority of hair transplant patients with visible plugs used to have more hair, but problem was that the hair thinned and caused the hair plugs to become obvious.

In our practice, we do a microscopic evaluation of the scalp and identify the potential hair that can thicken from Hair Regeneration. We can determine how much they would benefit from Hair Regeneration. We had patients who are very advanced in their hair loss and we have been absolutely impressed by the amount of hair volume they achieved in spite of how far along they were. We believe strongly that as long as there is potential, there is opportunity to get improvement with Hair Regeneration. We are able to show the benefit of Hair Regeneration as outweighing the benefits of hair transplant in terms of volume of hair. Our strategy is to do first Hair Regeneration even if they are a candidate for transplant, allow 18 months to transpire, and then see where they are at. With this onetime treatment, the benefit lasts for at least 3 to 5 years. When you choose a transplant, you can be more strategic, efficient, and effective with the grafts because remember, you only have a limited donor area.

I am very hesitant to transplant someone this young. I would rather do Hair Regeneration, wait it out, watch and see if there’s any progression and then consider a transplant if appropriate, understanding what the limitations are. So I hope that this guides you in your journey of treating your hair loss. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Strip vs FUE

I guess the bigger question is should you be having a hair transplant period.  You are very young and appear to have very aggressive hair loss for someone your age.  You will likely lose most of your hair, including temporal hair.  This is a situation that may not be a problem now, but will become one as you continue to lose your hair.  People who have or will have extensive loss may not be good hair transplant candidates.  Make sure you have picked a very experienced surgeon and discuss this issue with him/her first.  Also pick someone who offers and regularly performs both strip and FUE and can discuss the pros and cons of each.  

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant at 19?

The question should be should I get a hair transplant at age 19. You were too young to begin the hair transplantation since you may eventually have extensive boldness and not enough hair to complete a natural look. You should wait until the full extent of your baldness is established which will probably be within five years. Beginning to earlycan leave you with a very unnatural look as I have seen many times doing hair transplantation and hair flaps for more than 35 years.

Hair transplant at age 19

I would caution you at the age of 19 against undergoing a hair transplant.  You appear to have significant progression of hair loss and are at risk for losing more hair.  My recommendation would be to focus on treatments which may slow down the progression of your hair loss at this point in time such as finasteride, low level laser light therapy, and topical minoxidil. 

Hair transplant

The degree of baldness you exhibit at age 19 is a bit concerning. Hair transplantation weather done by strip or FUE harvesting can successfully transfer hair from the back to the front of the head. However your expectations have to be quite limited and a youthful, full looking head of hair cannot likely be achieved . The wisdom and experience of your hair transplant surgeon is the most important factor. The technique is secondary. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon