Is Anesthesia Required for Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had done the nose job 2 month ago, but I'm not satisfied with the tip of the nose (the angle between tip and upper lip is a little bit low )so, I want to turn the tip a little bit up with correction Rhinoplasty.

Do I need a general or local anesthesia to change my tip, and should I pay for that or not?

Anesthesia for Revision Rhinoplasty

I strongly advise you not to do revision work two months after the primary surgery. Wait a minimum of 3-4 months longer. If you and your surgeon decide to only do the tip refinements you describe, local anesthesia should be adequate for you to have a comfortable procedure. Cost of the surgery depends on your pre-operative agreement with your surgeon.

Anesthesia for revision rhinoplasty

Tata111, I would recommend waiting additional time (up to one year ideally) before you entertain the idea of doing revision work. At two months out from rhinoplasty, you are still quite early in the healing process. A lot may change in the coming months. To answer your question about type of anesthesia, the answer depends on how much change is going to be required and what technique is going to be used. Sometimes minor alterations and even grafting can be done under local anesthesia in the office setting. In other cases where additional rotation of the tip is desired, an open approach may be warranted that necessitates a deeper anesthetic (IV sedation or general). Many surgeons will offer to do revision procedures on their own patients without charging additional surgeon fees. In cases where a trip back to the operating room is indicated, most patients end up paying for the anesthesia and facility fees once again. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 months may be too soon for revision rhinoplasty

After nasal surgery, it takes quite some time to see the final result. Unless there is a major issue with the nose after surgery, 6 to 12 months should elapse before pursuing revision surgery. With time, the tip tends to turn up a bit as the swelling resolves and the tissues heal. Although revision rhinoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia, most surgeons and patients feel more comfortable with either IV sedation or general anesthesia.

As far as paying for revision surgery, that varies with surgeons. I will, generally, waive my surgeons fee but patients still will be billed by the surgery center and the anesthesiologist.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia For Revision Rhinoplasty

A revision rhinoplasty should not be scheduled until the nose has fully assumes its new form, which takes 9 months to a year. The nasal tissues need time to heal after surgery, so it is impossible to make an accurate assessment of the nose’s shape within first few months of the rhinoplasty. If a correction is desired after a year, a revision rhinoplasty specialist should be consulted; depending on the case, a secondary surgery can be quite complex. When it comes to anesthesia, a revision rhinoplasty is typically treated the same as a primary rhinoplasty, thus general anesthesia is administered.

Sam Rizk, MD

Local anesthesia for revision rhinoplasty?

2 months is way too short. You can have it under local, but a general is better. Unless its very minor touch up.