Removal of lipoma on my lower back.

Hello, I have a small lipoma on my lower back next to my spine bones. It's basically on the muscle that runs up the spine. I can actually grab it and pull it away from the muscle so I don't think it is attached. It is about the size of my thumb. I am getting it removed on Friday and I was wondering what the procedure will be like. I have pretty bad anxiety in general so it's starting to kick in. Am I at risk for anything? Does the site of the incision usually get infected afterwards?

#Lipoma Removal - Removal of lipoma on my lower back

Infections and complications from lipoma removals are rare, but they can occur.  Most commonly, though, the procedure (for a lipoma such as you're describing) is done under local anesthesia or, depending on how deep it is, under deeper or general anesthesia.  Removing the lipoma is a relatively straight-forward procedure.  For larger and deeper lipomas, a drain may be used for a few days.  All of this should be discussed with your own plastic surgeon, as there is a wide range of techniques and procedures, and your surgeon will be able to give you the information that's most helpful in answering your questions.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Removal of lipoma on my lower back.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Lipoma removals can be done either in the operating room or in a physicians office, depending on the preference of the patient and physician.  After having the area thoroughly numb an incision is placed over the area of fullness while dissection is performed to free the lipoma from the surrounding tissues.  After removal a series of sutures are placed to allow your skin to heal quickly.  The risk of an infection is quite low for this procedure.  Hope this helps.