I'm really wanting to get my boobs done but I still have some milk left from breastfeeding my son?

It's been a little over 10months since I last breastfed my son. My breast have returned to their pre baby size (30B) and haven't been engorged in months but I've noticed every once in awhile I'll have small wet spots in my bra. I've tried cabbage leaves, and all the other tricks to get ride of the last bit of milk but nothing seems to work. Can I get implants or will I need to wait till the milk is completely gone?

Implants after breast feeding

Ten months should be enough time and some spotting can occur without concern, but you should be cleared by your OB-GYN to be sure.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

If I were seeing you in my practice, I would ask that you to be seen by your OB/GYN first. Hopefully he/she will have some suggestions to help with the ongoing lactation.  Best to have no further milk secretion prior to proceeding.  Best wishes.

I'm really wanting to get my boobs done but I still have some milk left from breastfeeding

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your pursuit of a breast augmentation.  After 10 months your breasts have largely returned to their new "normal" and you are safe to undergo a breast augmentation procedure.  Be sure to inform your surgeon of your drainage so that an appropriate surgical plan can be performed.  Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation after breast feeding

Thanks for your inquiry. Ten months should be enough time since you stopped breast feeding to now have a breast augmentation. I suggest you get clearance form your OB/GYN and then consult a board verified plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

You should be able to get implants at any point now. Good luck...

Greg Sexton, M.D.

Columbia, S.C.

Breast augmentation while lactating

Waiting at least 3-6 months after finishing breastfeeding may help to avoid potential problems with cosmetic breast surgery.  If a patient is persistently lactating while no longer breastfeeding, it might be best to be evaluated by their ob/gyn or an endocrinologist before undergoing a procedure.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best of luck,

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Breasts lactating

You should probably check with your gynecologist to see why you are still lactating.  Best of luck....

Breastfeeding and surgery

Thanks for the question. In my practice for cases like yours I always recommend you wait finishing breastfeeding to perform surgery. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

No worries.

The main consideration in planning your augmentation is a stable breast size that is not engorged, so that accurate implant selection is possible. Based on what you have reported, it seems you can proceed with surgery, but I would recommend a visit with your OBGYN ri confirm that he or she agrees. 

When you select your plastic surgeon, make sure that he or she is experienced, board certified or board eligible, and that their results align with your own aesthetics.

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

The presence of small amounts of milk is not unusual 10 months after cessation of breast-feeding.  Ideally milk production should have ceased before breast augmentation is done.  However if after 1 year post breast-feeding is still have some spotting breast augmentation can be done but is very important that her surgeon cover the nipples with Tegaderm during surgery.