Would I get good results from just liposuction of my neck area or would I need a neck lift to see my jawline again? (photo)

What are the chances my skin will just hang if I only get liposuction of my neck area? I am hoping to not have to have a neck lift. I am 42 years old and my weight has gone up and down over the past 20 years due to four pregnancies. I am close to my goal weight right now. Does a 42 year old's skin normally have enough elasticity to bounce back from lipo of the neck?

Heavy Neck In Your 40's

In my opinion, patients always have options.  You will have both surgical and non-surgical options.  In regards to facial plastic surgery, I recommend patients to have the procedures that will give the best results in a safe manner.  In your case, you will have the best and longest lasting results with a neck lift with a platysmaplasty.

All of the other options mentioned are reasonable options and will improve your neckline.  I think the other options will be unlikely with will be able to create the tightness and definition created by a neck lift.  

In this situation, you need to do what is going to be best for you.  If you are unable to have the downtime associated with a neck lift and price is a concern, then the other options are reasonable.  I would recommend researching and clearly understanding the risks, limitations, and benefits of each option.

Treatment of the Neck

From your picture, it is impossible to give any specific advice. You require an exam by a plastic surgeon who specializes in neck rejuvenation and has all capabilities to correct the problem. If the problem is caused by just superficial fat and the skin is relatively elastic, then either liposuction or Kybella (an injectable that melts under chin fat) would be an excellent choice. If, however, the problem is caused by something else, the fat is also behind the muscle or the skin is inelastic, you will need a surgical procedure to give you an optimal result. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction versus Neck lift versus face and neck lift

It is very difficult to make a decision without an in-person examination and only one photograph. From the very limited photograph that is presented,  it appears there is jowls present and loose inelastic skin  along with fatty deposits in the neck.  Liposuction in the neck can remove the fatty deposits as long as  the skin tone is acceptable. When there is a short platysma in the neck and patient's desire a significantly improved jawline, a platysma plasty is required along with a neck lift.  For many examples of neck lifts, please see the link and of the video below

Would I get good results from just liposuction of my neck area or would I need a neck lift to see my jawline again?

hat is the question? The skin rebound ?? You can try a local anesthesia operation of ThermiTight RF/ Smartlipo?Lipo of the chin with a Silhouette IstaLift medface, fee $5,000, heal the days. If not happy than a general anesthesia full open neck lift would be needed, fee $10,000, heal time 1 month+.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I use kybella on the jawline and often combine with venus legacy and/or ultherapy to get better results. The number one treatment for immediate results is VASER combined with ThermiRF in my practice. I suggest you see an expert in facial and body scultping. Best, Dr. Emer

Neck fulness can be treated multiple ways

Hi 64th_trimester.  It is difficult to say with certainty without an in person examination and only one view.  If you have excess fat, you have the options of coolsculpting, kybella injections and liposuction.  The first two are nonsurgical ways to reduce fat-usually there is not significant skin sagging afterwards.  If you choose liposuction, make sure there is a skin tightening modality used as well, like VASER, smartlipo, etc.  to increase the chances of good definition.  If the muscles are tightly banded then they will not change with liposuction.  Ultherapy has yielded good results and may be worth trying if the issue is mostly loose skin and there is not a lot of fat to remove or even after coolsculpting or kybella injections.  Good luck!

Neck lift

I don't think liposuction alone will get you the definition 
that you desire. Your best chance involves platysmal 
tightening.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are surgical and non-surgical ways to address loose neck skin and fat - best to see a doctor who offers both

Thank you for the question. You are 42-years-old and provided a photo of your side view, stating you’ve had weight fluctuations related to several pregnancies. You ask if there is a chance your skin will sag after liposuction, as you have your trepidations about surgery like a neck lift.
I can certainly assist you with this question based on my own personal experience as a practicing cosmetic surgeon. A little background, I’ve been in practice over 20 years in Manhattan and Long Island helping people with this very problem. In fact, I am also Board-certified in not only cosmetic surgery but I am also a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. Facial rejuvenation is a big part of what I do, and there is a continuous evolution on how we approach situations like yours.
One thing that can’t be done with just photos is a physical examination. Your concern of sagging requires physical examination because we have to tell if your skin can naturally retract to its normal position, or will it sag. If it sags, we see if it’s an acceptable amount of sag. The traditional surgical approach are some type of lift, or liposuction plus a lift. Non-surgically, injectable drugs cano melt fat, as well as non-surgical thermal tightening devices. As a cosmetic surgeon and with the practice I have, I actually offer all those options.
When I look at someone like yourself, I’ll share with you a little about personal bias because I tend to be more conservative. I tend not to advocate surgery per se in terms of lifting. The youngest person I’ve ever done facelift for was 37, and a close second was a woman who was 42, but her face was jowly and very thin so there was no fat to remove, but the skin was very much sagging.
In your situation, a non-surgical approach would be a good first line therapy, possibly liposuction to help you with the jowl, and a non-surgical skin tightening device. In our practice, we have a laser that allows me to treat the skin deeper to heat up the tissue both in the dermis (the backbone of the skin), as well as the deeper tissue to cause contraction. I chose this device after waiting and figuring out what device would actually deliver what I want, and give me still the hand of a surgeon to apply it in a way that makes sense to me. A lot of devices are used by non-physicians, and basically they place some type of connection to the skin and generate heat. Most of those devices are met by a lot of resistance from patients because of undesirable and unimpressive results. In my hands, I’ve been happy in this particular modality. Last but not the least, I add fillers in a strategic place to create a jawline effect using something called structural volumizing. There is an art into doing this, so it is never black and white, but it does require a physical examination.
I recommend you to meet with several doctors, preferably surgeons with different modalities in their office so you can minimize the bias and see who you are comfortable with what works for you. One of the things I tell my patients considering a limited surgical option or non-surgical option is that it’s relatively low-risk, and you can always do surgery at a later time. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the jawline/neck is always the 1st option to undertake.

Liposuction is easy to undergo for the jawline/neck and is under local and you can drive yourself home and be back to work in 1 day.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of Neck Laxity

Fortunately, there are several options for neck rejuvenation depending on the patient's desires, skin laxity, fat and muscle laxity.  Without an in-person consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, it would be impossible to tell you what would be the best procedure.  Liposuction can remove fat from the neck and lead to a good contour if the patient is young with good skin elasticity and near ideal goal weight if the fat is superficial.  Neck lift surgery will contour the neck, the underlying muscle and structures and tighten the skin.  There are nonsurgical options as well like Kybella which slowly dissolves fat over several sessions.  So it would be best to find a plastic surgeon who specializes in facial rejuvenation to have a consult.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon