On Immunosuppresants, How Soon Should I Stop Taking Them Before Cosmetic Procedure?

I am currently on immunosuppersants for my severe eczema How soon should a stop taking them if I am considering a cosmetic procedure like a TT & BBL?

On Immunosuppressants, How Soon Should I Stop Taking Them Before Cosmetic Procedure?

This will depend upon the drug administered and the nature of the disease.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and BBLs each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Immunosuppressive medications and cosmetic surgery

This is something that your plastic surgeon should review with you during your consultation.   You mentioned you are on medications for severe eczema.  Most medications for eczema are topical.     Topical steroids are rarely systemically absorbed, so they should not have any effects on your healing (as long as your eczema does not involve any potential incision lines).   If you are on other systemic medications (such as oral pill regimens, such as methotrexate or other anti-psoriasis regimens), then these medications will need to be stopped well before surgery.   However, discontinuation of any therapy will require physician supervision.  You will need to get the advice of your dermatologist who is managing this treatment.   So your first step should be to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to learn more about your options.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Perioperative immunosuppresants and elective surgery

Thanks for your question. This is an important issue that you should definitely discuss thoroughly with your surgeon well in advance of your scheduled surgery. Immunosuppresants lower the body's ability to fight infection, and this definitely needs to be balanced with the your surgical issues. An infection around a breast implant, for example, could be devastating. This is a much tougher issue when the agents are for issues such as organ transplantation, and you do not want to risk transplant rejection but also worry about peri-operative infection. So, coordinate with your surgeon! Good luck!

Matt Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Matt Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Eczema And Plastic Surgery

It depends on the medication you are using. Often, the best time to do surgery is when you are in between doses of a systemic immunosuppresant.  If you are using just topical, then it may be more simple. Coordination with your dermatologist allows the best management of your condition during your recovery.

Eczema And Plastic Surgery

Immunosuppersants and Cosmetic Surgery

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgery regarding your TT and BBL.  He or she will need a medical clearance from the doctor treating you for your eczema prior to surgery.  Stopping the meds will be discussed between the 2 doctors, as well as anesthesia.   Your well being is a team effort, and should be treated as such. Best wishes!

Immunosuppersants and Cosmetic Surgery

Immunosuppressants are generally stopped several days prior to an abdominoplasty.

Depending on the medication, the dose, in the medical condition patients undergoing in abdominoplasty would probably stop immunosuppressants before the operation. Specifically when it is determined by the immunologist and the surgeon.

Dear Randbee,

Thank you for your post.  This depends on where you eczema is and if you are using topical immunosupressives or oral.  Oral immunosuppresives will impact your healing potential and infection risk.  A consultation with your surgeon and dermatologist is necessary to get a plan together to minimize your risks.

Best Wishes,

PAblo Prichard, MD

Dear Randbee,

Best Wishes,

PAblo Prichard, MD

This needs to be discussed with your surgeon and your prescribing doctor. If the durgs are topical, it is likely that they needn't be stopped. Active eczema adds risk of wound infection, so there will be a delicate balance. 

All the best. 

All the best.