Should I get a reduction?

I'm 23 years old, bra size 32F / 34E. 5'6, 142lbs. I've been considering a breast reduction for a couple years, just had my consultation and insurance already approved it. My surgery is scheduled for August 2nd, but I've been having mixed emotions about it. Is it really worth it? What size should I go to? Doctor said large C/ small D. My cousin got it done when she was really young, maybe 18. Will post photos when I get home!

Breast Reduction Surgery

At the end of the day, the choice as to whether you want to go through with breast reduction surgery is yours. I’ve had many patients with similar concerns as you, who have – after going through with the surgery – noticed a significant improvement in the overall shape, weight and size of their breasts. In fact, this surgery is one of the most patient pleasing surgeries we perform. That being said, it is essential that you feel completely confident in your decision before going ahead with any type of surgery. It is in your best interest to continue the consultation process if you are still feeling uncertain. Discuss all of your concerns thoroughly with your surgeon and make sure all of your questions have been answered before you decide what's best for you.

Considering Breast Reduction in Melbourne, Florida

My Melbourne, Florida, breast reduction patients are generally very satisfied and happy with not all their reduction results, but also the relief from the weight of the breasts on the neck and shoulders.  Your consideration regarding size should be more focused on what is proportionate to you rather than a cup size.  Since cup sizes are not consistent, they are not a reliable end point.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Surgery

Unless you want to carry around all that extra weight, go have the reduction. You will find your neck and shoulders thank you and clothes are much easier to buy. Also, when you are old, you won't have big boobs sitting on your lap.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You need to be certain!

The answer will comes down to how much the larger breast affect your life and whether these symptoms are bad enough for you to undergo surgery and risk possible complications. The patients that are the most satisfied following surgery are those patients who have been definately set on changing the breasts and just want to be smaller whatever the eventual cup size.This is a difficult question for anyone other than you to answer.
Regarding size large C to D is a reasonable suggestion..

Sohail Akhtar, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a breast reduction?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation. Ultimately, whether or not you should proceed will be a very personal decision that only you can make after careful consideration of pros/cons associated with the procedure. 

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Again, patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.