What is the probability of breast implant toxicity?

I got implants a little under a month ago, I feel like everything is fine as of now but after seeing an article on how bad implants can be for you, I can't stop thinking about it. I've done extensive research before getting them done and never crossed any negative articles. I have the mentor memory gel and apparently the mentor ones are the worst. This is making me extremely nervous, why don't more people know about this stuff? Should I get them ex planted? Like I said, I feel fine. Just nervous

Breast augmentation concerns

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should go see your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant - Systemic affects

There is no evidence of systemic affects due to breast implants and there are millions of women that have implants without any problems. Breast implants are very safe and you should put your worries aside and enjoy the results. 

#PlasticSurgery #BreastAug #Implants #surgeryprep 

Breast Implants are very safe

Don't be nervous and no need to focus one one negative article...breast implants are very safe!  Enough said...now enjoy them.

John A. Perrotti, MD

Implants are safe

Breast implants may be the most extensively studied device ever put in the human body; and they have been proven safe and approved by the FDA.  I don't know what article you read recently but it was not scientifically based.  The link below is a thorough review on breast implants.   I hope the answers here help you stop worrying.  Enjoy your new look.

Jeremiah Redstone MD

Jeremiah Redstone, MD

Thank you for your question.  After a moratorium on the use of silicone implants in cosmetic procedures in the 1990’s, the FDA lifted the ban on silicone implants in 2006, stating they were “safe and effective.” To date, there have never been any confirmed links between silicone implants and an increased risk of health problems or toxicity.  Today, silicone implants are used three times more frequently than saline implants in breast augmentations and are one of the most researched and studied medical devices.  Hope this helps allay some of your fears.  

No evidence

The silicone implant is one of the most studied medical devices and there is no evidence linking them to breast cancer or autoimmune diseases like lupus, scleroderma or arthritis. Even if you don't believe the FDA if they truly caused harm you'd see "paid lawyer spokesperson" advertisements trying to solicite you like we all see for so many other medications and devices. 

You can achieve peace of mind with removal without replacement or with replacement with a different brand or saline but their is no scientific evidence to support that decision. All the best. 

Implant toxicity

Hello,  it is unclear what adverse effects you are worried about.  Breast implants do have well known risks (contracture, rupture, malposition, etc), but true toxicity from exposure to gel is not one of the well-documented risks.  If you have specific concerns you could ask your PS because they will likely be able to provide you with concrete answers.

Breast implant 'toxicity' - no scientific evidence

It seems that you have healed well from your breast implant surgery. Silicone gel breasts implants developed a controversial reputation in the 1990s . At that time, there was significant negative publicity and a large legal battle ensued disputing the safety of silicone gel breast implants. One positive outcome was that our plastic surgery community had no choice but to conduct extensive medical research, which eventually confirmed that there was no medical evidence of 'toxicity'. Silicone gel breast implants were cleared again by the FDA as safe for women.

Some preliminary research that I did, found that women's anxiety over the negative publicity about implants caused more symptoms than the implants themselves.

No breast implant is perfect, however you can feel relieved that the implants you chose were extensively researched and scrutinized more than most medical devices by the FDA, partly because of the controversy.

As long as you have healed well, enjoy your new look and don't worry. I also recommend an annual breast exam, for added safety.