Confused about bra size post op breast reduction? (photos)

I am a 30e or 32ddd. I'm having a reduction in December and I am so lost. I know the size isn't guaranteed and depends on a lot of factors, healing process etc. but I want to be able to tell my doctor what cup/band size to aim for so we're on the same page. But it seems impossible after finding this chart. He already told me I can most likely go as small as a B cup. Based on the photos (not me in pics), what bra size should I tell my doctor I want?

Bra size goal with breast reduction.

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• To me, a cup size is a look, not a measurement.
  • The photo show a full B/small C look - this is an average normal look, neither large nor small.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Confused about bra size post op breast reduction?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I think that you are wise in understanding the importance of preoperative communication when it comes to achieving an outcome that you will be pleased with. In my opinion, successful outcomes with  etc. surgery depend on:

1.  Careful selection of plastic surgeon (and from the surgeon's  standpoint, careful selection of patient).

2.  Careful communication of goals ( which I will discuss further below).

3.  Skillful execution of procedure ( preoperative, intraopererative, and postoperative patient management).

In my practice, I would ask that you NOT communicate your goals, or evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed, based on cup sizes.  There is simply too much variability when it comes to bra sizes between bra manufacturers and even store employees doing the bra fitting measurements.

Generally speaking,  for the benefit of patients undergoing breast reduction surgery:  it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. Again, I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “B or C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication.

In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of  computer imaging and/or goal photographs,  as you have done here.  Obviously, the outcome associated with the breast surgery will not necessarily match that of goal photographs perfectly, but they do serve as a better communication tool that subjective terms such as "natural", "proportionate", "voluptuous"… Evaluating goal photographs also allows for a plastic surgeon to determine the consistency of the patient's goals and allows for a discussion of realistic expectations as well.  

***Needless to say, when it comes to achieving patient satisfaction with the outcome of surgery,  it is very important that a patient has consistent goals (fully decided on what she would like to achieve) and a good understanding of realistic expectations (what outcomes can and cannot be achieved). 

I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.