Are my breast implants too high? (Photos)

Hello... So, I've had my breast implants for 20 days now (picture shown) and they do not seem to have changed at all since the day of surgery. My concern is that the distance from nipple to crease of the breast is WAY too short and also there is so little volume on the bottom half that it makes a shadow. Will the bottom of the breast fill out significantly enough that the nipple will be in the center of the breast and the shadow will be gone? Thanks everyone

Implants high at 20 days

Thank you for your question.  Implants do settle down over several months after surgery.  Give yourself at least 3 months before getting a better idea about your appearance.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing there to be more fullness at the bottom.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would also continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Early

You are in your early postoperative phase after breast augmentation surgery.  It takes 3-6 months for your implants to settle.  You are well on your way to having beautiful results!

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Are my breast implants too high?

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. 

Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other. As breast implants "settle", they tend to round out the lower breast poles. As this occurs, the nipple/areola complexes seem higher on each breast mound.

Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.