This nasty swelling above my incision looks like a fat roll. Will it go away? (Photos)

I've been feeling great and 3 days post abdominoplasty.. I have what looks like a huge fat roll above my incision when waking up today. Dr today wasn't their for my checkup, but her assistant said it was swelling and to just keep my binder covering that area tightly. Have you seen this kind of swelling before? It is not fun looking at it, though everyone heals differently. Should I be worried?

Swelling after TT

Thank you for your question. You are very early post op and have swelling. It will continue to get better in the coming several weeks. Please follow instructions from your PS and express your concerns

This nasty swelling above my incision looks like a fat roll. Will it go away?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your tummy tuck surgery.  It is common for patients to experience swelling to the upper portion of their incision in the first weeks to months after a tummy tuck.  This can best be treated with a compression garment until your results have matured sufficiently to avoid this need.  I know waiting is difficult, but hang in there!

Swelling above my tummy tuck incision...

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. No, you should not be worried… At this stage in your recovery, significant swelling is the norm. Patience and time will be your best friends; it will take months and even up to one year to see the final outcome of the procedure performed.

Continue close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

At 3 Days post op, you do not need to worry about the fat roll.  It takes months for all the swelling to subside.  You can help yourself by faithfully wearing your compression garment.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD