Would 450cc butt implant be too big for a petite frame? (Photo)

I am planing to get butt implant with 450cc. I am kind of flat. I'm just curious if 450cc would be the right choice for a petite frame like me. I'm 5ft tall and 104Ib. Butt implant is expensive , so I don't want to spend a lot of money and still looking the same. Thank you for your answers.

Butt implant size

Dear patient,

The most important aspect of any aesthetic surgery is proportions.  Many patients think that the bigger they go the better the outcome and this is not necessarily true.  There are three ways to do a butt augmentation with an implant:

1.  Subcutaneous plane:  This technique is the easiest of all, but it normally renders poor results since the implant is visible and drops after some time.  It is also associated with higher incidence of seromas.

2.  Under the muscle plane:  This technique is harder to perform and it is very frequently associated with chronic post op pain.

3.  Intra muscular plane:  This technique renders the best results, it has a very good lift potential, the implant can't be seen and it stays in place for the longest time. The incidence of post-op complications is the lowest among the three options.

The size of the implant has to correspond to the size of your body, with the intra-gluteal or sub-gluteal planes you can go up to a certain size depending on the space the patient has. 

When the implant is placed under the skin a much larger butt implant can be used since it is possible to create a larger pocket to place it, but the larger the implant the more it will be visible and the faster it will sag.  I strongly not recommend this.

Thorough measurements have to be done to pick the right implant for you, which produces the right size, shape and projection desired.

I hope this information was helpful.  Best regards, Dr Urzola.

Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Buttock implant sizing

Regarding buttock augmentation, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12 months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock implants).

One of the most important factors in creating the perfect derriere with implants is indeed selecting the right size AND shape. I have found the best way to assure this is to simply measure the actual dimensions of the patient’s buttock cheeks. With these anatomical measurements, I can select an implant that not only significantly augments the buttock but also supplies the correct 3-dimensional enhancement to look as real as possible. Traditionally, teardrop oval implants have a 20+% risk of rotation and thus unnaturally change the buttock shape/appearance when doing so. However i have recently created and patented a new "Stanton Anatomic" shaped implant that avoids this issue. The benefit of this is the fact that ~80% of women patients have more of an oval shaped buttock cheek than round, thus creating a much more natural and harmonious buttock contour. Thus, the only way for you to know what implant works best is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon specializing in this procedure and have him/her take your measurements before selecting an implant and proceeding with surgery.
The largest stock buttock implant currently available in the USA is a 690cc round implant. Indeed custom implants can be ordered larger, not only at a premium price but at a premium risk for most patients'. Unlike breast implants which are placed under the very expandable tissue of the breast and half of the pectoral major muscle, buttock implants are (most preferably) placed under (or at least within) the largest strongest muscle of the body, the gluteus maximus muscle, which is not nearly as expandable or forgiving. Thus most patients simply do not have a large enough native buttock muscle to fit an implant much over 500 ccs', without leading to significant complication such as wound breakdown/opening &/or implant exposure...necessitating removal.
Some of those sought after video-vixen and celeb-types (without mentioning names) with cartoonish bottoms could have either gotten extremely lucky with a huge oversized implant (very unlikely if properly placed under the muscle), had a very large volume of filler injected such as silicone, PMMA, or hydrogel - all NOT recommended because of high risk of severe infections, migration and/or hardening over time, and even deadly consequences in rare but significant instances (if mistakenly injected into the blood stream); and/or have been genetically "blessed" - although quite unlikely.
I generally do not recommend fat grafting at the same time as placing buttock implants because of a significantly increased risk of infection. For fat to survive it must be grafted into muscle, however that is also where the implant sits. Thus, if fat it injected into the implant or implant pocket then it will die and almost assuredly get infected - necessitating removal of the implant as well. Fat transfer later on must be done very carefully and cautiously, preferably by the original surgeon, for the very same reasons as above. In both instances, the risk/reward ratio is very high (meaning high risk to very low potential reward) because over 80% of the fat is likely to melt away yielding very small gains in augmentation.
Nonetheless, buttock implants are a proven safe and effective method of buttock augmentation as long as the recommendations of a board certified plastic surgeon specialist are adhered to.
Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD