Considering a Tummy tuck along with my BA next month. I weighed 258 at one point am now 169, 2 c sect . Any suggestions? (photo)

I can not miss more than 5 days at work office job .. I was thinking better to do it all in one shot or should I wait

Healing & Recovery After your Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover - 5 days off?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. I don't think 5 days will not be enough time off to recover from an extended tummy tuck. You will be very sore from the muscle tightening and not ready to go back to work a full day. However, it should be plenty of time to recover from breast augmentation. Please discuss your recovery in detail with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Recovery time after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question.  You may need more than five days off after a tummy tuck to feel well enough to go back to work, though five days should be adequate after a breast augmentation.  If you only have five days off, you might consider waiting until you have more time off. Hope this helps…best of luck!

Breast Augmentation & Tummy Tuck

Five days recovery would be enough time off work for a breast augmentation, but probably not for the tummy tuck unless your job is seriously sedentary. Make sure to have a very realistic conversation with your surgeon about what kind of post op pain and discomfort to expect so that you can make the right decision for your lifestyle. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Can your new imaging techniques show me how not only my breast but also my tummy look after BA and TT?

You can see much more precisely how your breasts will look like with different sized, shaped and profile and even style and manufacturer with the new imaging software we have available. This will also show you a representation of your tummy after a TT.  It is pretty revolutionary. You either come in and we take a photo and then show you or you can even send in a photo and we can "adjust" it with the implant added. There is a charge for this but we deduct this from the surgical fee. Much less guessing on the patients part! We even have virtual reality googles where you can look down and see how everything may look!    Those two procedures I do quite often together and usually as an outpatient. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work after a mommy makeover.

A patient undergoing a mommy makeover in my practice would be permitted to return to work at five days provided excessive physical activity was not required. Whether not you will feel up to it remains to be seen. I do not use drains so they would not be an issue in my practice.

Having tummy tuck with breast augmentation?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • You clearly will benefit greatly from a tummy tuck.
  • The question is if you have enough recovery time.
  • Tummy tucks typically have a minimum 2 week recovery before going back to work.
  • Discuss this with your surgeon - if you can work from home the second week, if surgery is done with Exparel to minimize pain and if you can work part time if necessary for the third week, it may be possible.
  • But it takes careful planning with your surgeon and your job.
  • When in doubt - split the two operations to avoid jeopardizing your job.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Recovery after MMO

Our patients go home 4 to 5 days after surgery.
But I would recommend to wait at least 2 weeks before returning to work.
The first couple of weeks are very important to recover after surgery.

Considering a Tummy tuck along with my BA.

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  I think you would do well with both procedures, significantly altering the shape and silhouette of your body.  Depending on your job restrictions you may be able to return to work, but I find that patients routinely need 10-14 days of healthy recovery before being comfortable enough.  Hope this helps.

Abdominoplasty and Breast Augmentation recovery

Hi and thanks for posting your question on RealSelf.com!!

Based on the pictures you posted you would probably be a candidate for the operations you express interest in. Only a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon will suffice for absolute recommendations. 

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation are frequently performed at the same time.

I am concerned that you would not get even close to enough time for recovery if you took only 5 days off work in order to recover from your operations. There is a considerable amount of recovery and I typically tell my patients that they will need 2 weeks off work and will still have activity restrictions for a full month after surgery and sometimes longer depending upon the procedures performed.

If you elect to undergo these transformative operations please consider giving yourself the time to reasonably recover so that you have the best outcomes!

Best wishes!!

Rachel Streu, MD