Juvederm Ultra XC won't go away! It's been 11 months (Photo)

I had 1 syringe of Juvederm ultra XC placed in my nasolabial folds .5 on each side on June 29, 2015. I also had half a syringe of another vile of Juvederm ultra XC placed in my lips. The PS said I can keep the remained for touch ups. It's been almost 1 year and none of this has dissolved and I'm not pleased with the results. Two other surgeons said they could dissolve it but I'm afraid I will look worse. How long can this stuff last? Also, How long can I keep the left over syringe?

Your JUVÉDERM® should have dissolved by now. Consult with a cosmetic surgeon.

Thank you for the photo. Typically the product should have dissipated, at least to some extent, by now, but it is possible for it to remain longer in some people. Based on your picture, I don’t see any negative results, but if you’re unhappy with the lingering effects of the JUVÉDERM® then you should consult with a cosmetic surgeon to discuss your options. Hyaluronidase can be a good option for undoing unsatisfactory results with JUVÉDERM®. In the future, be sure to visit a highly-experienced injector to get the best results possible from JUVÉDERM®.

Juvederm Ultra

Hello, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. 

In my experience, Juvederm Ultra usually last 6-12 months, but can last longer for some individuals. You could have the filler dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

I would not use the filler you have bene keeping for 1 year.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra XC

From the photo you provided, I can't really see what you are unhappy with.  Nevertheless, photos can be deceiving.
I'd say go ahead and have hyaluronidase injected to dissolve it.  I think you will find there is actually not much product left eleven months later, so it will not makes things appreciably worse.
Best of luck.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Unhappiness

Reverse the filler with hyaluronidase and use venus legacy treatments to speed up the process of reversal.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm in lips

Not sure what you don't like about the lips - look pretty nice to me.  Juvederm and the other HAs usually last 6-12 months,  but can last longer in some people.  IF you don't like it then have it dissolved.  It will take you back to your baseline. If you only had 1/2 of a syringe for you lips, I don't think the before and after should be too different.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juviderm UltraXC

Thank you for your question. The product is supposed to only last 9 to 12 months.  If you have had product injected prior to this injection, it may last longer. 
it is possible to dissolve the filler if you are unhappy with it.  I would talk with your injector. I have been performing fat transfer for a very long time with long term results. Therefore, I do a lot of fillers because it is a natural precursor to this procedure. Look into your options, that's the best answer.  

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Should be gone by now

Hi
Thanks for the question.  Those products can last 6-12 months.  After 12 months, the majority of the product should go away.  The nice thing about the products is that over time they cause your own tissue to start to build up collagen and therefore can give you longer lasting results.  I don't see anything major with your photo, but if there is something you are unhappy with they get a second opinion.  Yes a medication can be injected to dissolve any residual filler.  The left over syringe needs to be used before the expiration date.  Keep in mind the product has been opened so it is not completely sterile.  The longer it sits in that vial, the more likely the product gets contaminated.  

Good luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Juvederm results and dissolving it

Dear aaa3,

Juvederm results can last for over a year. You can either wait it out until the product dissolves
or get a medication injected that will dissolve the remaining product. If you get Hylenex (medication that dissolves the filler), you will look how you did prior to getting the original
filler.
i do not recommend using filler that has been opened. Filler should be opened, used and thrown out.

Morgan Rabach, MD

Juvederm - not happy with results

It is very easy to remove with hyaluronidase. I would not worry about things looking worse. It will go back to baseline. I wouldn't use the "stored" Juvederm at this point.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Not liking Juvederm in the lips

not sure what it is that you don't like about your juvederm in your lips. In most patients, the Juvederm filler is gone within one year.

Arian Mowlavi, MD