I'm now second guessing saline breast implants do to being told eventually they cause stretch-mark like lines, is this true?

I was told eventually maybe with a few years stretch mark looking line would develope on my breast. Therefore not sure if saline implants are worth it .

Stretch marks may occur after breast augmentation using saline or silicone breast implants. Rippling is a condition that tends to occur more with saline implants compared to silicone. This is especially true if you have thin breast tissue. Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you decide which implants will be best for you. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.
Dr. Gregory Park

Stretch marks after saline breast augmentation?

The real potential shortcoming of saline implants is for their tendency to feel rippled and even become visibly wavy if your breast tissue thins in the future.  There are also questions of implant lifespan that favor the use of cohesive silicone gel implants for most people.I have rarely seen stretch marks develop after any breast augmentation procedure but in the rare cases it has involved young women with tighter more elastic skin.  I don't believe that saline had any particular impact vs. silicone gel.  For a more natural feel and greater average lifespan I encourage my patients to use the current cohesive silicone gel implants.  The decision however is of course yours to make after discussion with your surgeon.  Best wishes.... Jon A Perlman MD FACS 
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Stretch marks with implants

the skin has a certain distensibility or stretch factor. Any implant will stretch the skin. If your skin is thin, you may develop stretch marks. Consult your plastic surgeon to determine if breast augmentation is right for you.

Susan Kaweski, MD

The fallacy of saline and stretch mark causation

should be settled with the many responses you received but any implant has the potential to cause stretch marks but thankfully, this is very rare.  But it is one of the risks you have to accept in case it does happen to use, regardless of implant type that you choose.  Rippling is a different problem and saline implants do ripple more, especially if you are very thin and have very little breast tissue.

Curtis Wong, MD

Saline implants and stretch marks

Stretch marks are caused by the rapid expansion of skin regardless of the implant type used. That being said it is not a common occurrence with appropriately sized implants. Primary breast augmentation in woman with very tight skin, usually who have not had children, that choose higher profile devices can develop stretch marks in a small percentage of cases.The more common problems seen with saline implants are rippling in the outer aspect of the breast and the fact that they don't feel as "natural" as silicone.Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and recommend appropriate volume implants to achieve your desired aesthetic.Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants can cause stretch marks in about 5% of primary breast augmentation procedures.

All rapid stretching of skin such as what occurs with breast augmentation surgery can result in stretch marks developing. Younger patients who have not yet had a full term pregnancy and those choosing larger volume and higher profile implants are at the highest risks. Fortunately, new stretch marks occur in only about 5% of primary augmentation patients. Delayed development of stretch marks related to the type of implant is not something that I have seen. More concerning with traditional saline filled implants are their tendencies of causing more tissue stretching and thinning over time compared to similar sized cohesive gel filled implants. Certain genetic conditions can also predispose you to developing stretch marks. 
Best regards,
Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Can stretch marks occur with breast implant?

Yes, stretch marks may occur as well as the areola can get misshapen and larger with breast implants but fortunately, this is unusual. You should continue to wear a bra for support after your surgery for the best results.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation And Stretchmarks

Hello,Although repeatedly thought of as 'rare', stretchmarks occur regularly in women choosing implants too large for their anatomic capacity.  Saline implants do create more tissue stretch, known as the 'water hammer' effect, and so therefore theoretically could produce stretchmarks more readily. Silicone gel implants are much better performing devices then saline regardless. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all forms of cosmetic breast augmentation.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implants and stretch marks

It is rare to for breast implants, whether saline or silicone, to create new stretch marks. If you already have stretch marks, implants might make them less noticeable, temporarily redden them and make them more visible, or not change them at all. This is my experience after performing more than 6000 breast augmentations with saline implants. Hope this is reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Stretch Marks

Saline implants don't put you at risk for stretch marks any more than silicone implants could.  However, stretch marks are not common after breast augmentation.  Some patients have deflated breasts which may have stretch marks already but not noticeable until the skin is expanded with implants.  Commonly this will cause the stretch marks to become noticeable and pink, but over time the color will fade, even though the stretch marks wont.I would assume also if very large implants are placed there may be development of stretch marks over time, but in general stretch marks are more inherent with the patients skin and tendency to develop them rather than the implant or the type of implant.
Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD