Can I expect cleavage with my slightly lateral nipples?

I'm looking at 350-375cc mod+ implants, and I have a 13.2 bwd. I'd love a 2-4cm gap between my breasts. Can I expect to achieve this? I've been given conflicting feedback from different surgeons. Thanks!

Implant placement with laterally splayed nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast cleavage is usually the result of bra support pushing the breast tissue (and implants, if present) toward the midline in a situation where the patient has a reasonably narrow breastbone and enough flexibility of the breast tissue/skin to allow mobility. Bigger breasts through implant augmentation should be able to be pushed together up to the limits of the width of the breastbone. Attempting to over-release the breasts in the middle in order to create more space for the implant to push inward runs the risk of creating symmastia ("uniboob") and/or weird muscle gaps near the lower breastbone. Your nipples really aren't that eccentrically placed so I think with your goals and the larger of your two implant choices, you are likely to get reasonable cleavage. However, an in-person exam and simulation software + use of silicone sizers would usually give a much better idea of possible postop results.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Can I expect cleavage with my slightly lateral nipples after breast augmentation?

I think if you can't push your natural breasts together in the midline (for cleavage) prior to surgery, then you will have difficulty with it after surgery. Breast implants are usually placed under the muscle and this limits the ability to push them together toward the midline. I usually tell girls that cleavage is created with a bra if you start out with good anatomy.

Cleavage and Lateral nipples.

Your nipple position and your cleavage are unrelated. You can get cleavage from an "excessively" wide middle profile implant  or from a high profile implant.   BWD measurements can vary from surgeon to surgeon but based upon the information you provided that implant should give you some cleavage that you can accentuate with a push up bra.  The gap between your breasts should stay about the same.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage

Thank you for reaching out and sharing a photos. The general answer would be Yes, you could obtain more cleavage from a breast aug. The bigger question is how much cleavage you are expecting. I would suggest maybe finding a few "wish" photos to bring to your consultations, ask the surgeons if the results you are hoping for are realistic, this will help you and the surgeon you choose to be on the same page as far as end result goals and expectations. Be sure to visit experienced board certified surgeons. Best of luck! Dr Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Cleavage

Thank you for your photo. You can expect an enhancement to cleavage with a breast augmentation with implants from just the increase in volume. There may be a limit to the amount of cleavage you can have depending on the shape of your chest and the amount of space between your natural breasts. Aggressively attempting to create a narrow separation between the breasts for cleavage can backfire and result in a "uniboob" or complete loss of natural space bteween your breasts which is difficult to correct. Your expectation of a 2-4cm gap sounds quite reasonable and can be more accurately determined after a physical examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

@Drjohnsonlee

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Expectation

Yes, I think that you have very reasonable expectations.  The implant selection should be based on a combination of your desired size, soft tissue dynamics, breast base diameter and skin elasticity.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with.   Finally, make sure your surgeon is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).

Dr. Desai
Beverly Hills Institute for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained
Double Board-Certified Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

A 4 cm gap between your mounds

is huge!  2  cm are tolerated much better.  Regardless, you have to decide if you want your implant placed more lateral on your chest so the nipple is centered over the mound or if you want your implants placed more medial to diminish the space between the mounds and have your nipples point more outwards.  Most of my patients prefer the latter to achieve a great cleavage but I also understand you don't want 'fish eye' nipples as well.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Dysmorphia

You are the unfortunate victim of a psychological phenomenon I like to refer to as breast dysmorphia; you believe there is something abnormal about the appearance of your breasts. You do not have excessively lateralized nipple position, and your inter-breast gap is normal (less than 4 cm now). That sized implant will achieve a beautiful result with a narrower gap. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Cleavage after breast implants?

Hello Moxyroxy, and thanks for you questions and photos.  After reviewing your photo and measurements stated, it appears that you should obtain reasonable cleavage and a very nice result from the size of implants that you are planning.  Your breasts are not widely spaced and you have visible cleavage in the photo without a bra - which means it will only improve with a correctly placed implant.

To assure that you get the result that you are looking for, I would recommend that you search for an ABPS board certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.  Membership in these societies demonstrate a surgeons commitment to safety and specialization in aesthetic and cosmetic surgery.  Assure that they have multiple before and after photos of results that you like so that you can have an informed discussion about your breast enhancement and possible results.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Cleavage

Thank you for the photo and you should obtain an excellent result from an augmentation but if you have concerns go on more consults and look at photos of similar patients with same sized implants

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD