The entrance to my vagina seems as if it's being blocked by skin or tissue. Any suggestions? (photos)

don't feel like it's normal, but I've never really seen anyone else's so I'm not sure!I don't know what's going on down there. Please help!

Doctor Answers 6

Blocked vagina?

Dear Davison 24:
thank you for sharing.  If you do NOT have a functional problem ( i.e. you can't have sex) then there is nothing wrong.  If you are suggesting the blocking is due to what you photo exhibits then this is normal and is your hymen or caruncles of your hymen.  This is normal.  It is possible the photos are not giving me the full picture and my assessment is wrong.   
If you are sexually active and there is not a problem or as long as you are not having symptoms then I would not worry about what you see in the photo  
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Atlanta Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Excess Skin over the Vagina

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Given your description of the piece of skin you are questioning, there would likely be nothing to worry about so long as there is no discomfort or irritation felt with its placement. If you are saying that it does in fact sting, you may want to see your gynecologist first, and then see a plastic surgeon for consultation if you feel that it would be best to remove the excess skin. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 107 reviews

I assume you're placing tampons with ease

and if sexually active and no issues, you do not have a blockage.  You could be looking at remnants of your hymen or the convoluted surface of the vaginal canal.  If you're unable to have penetration sex or use tampons, you should have seen your GYN years ago.  And if this is something new, even more urgent is your problem.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

See your gynecologist

Women who state that their vagina seems blocked sometimes have a gynecologic problem and sometimes have nothing wrong at all. A photo is insufficient. Your gynecologist will be able to answer your question in no time.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Does my introitus (aka vaginal opening) look "normal."

Hello!  I see no abnormality of your vaginal opening, although an in-person evaluation by your gynecologist will give you the most information. If it "works" (i.e. you can have pleasurable sex...), then no problem! (...see "Anatomy basics" below...)
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Vagibal opening

hello. The tissue you see is normal vaginal mucosa and hymen remnants. The vagina is a dynamic and flexible tube that collapses on itself when it has nothing in it. This helps to keep it moist and prevents infections. What you see is completely normal. I hope this answer has been helpful!!!~Dr Poucher

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.