Restylane injection method question for under eye hollows

I was told by a well respected cosmetic doctor here in Holland that he doesn't use a cannula because Restylane will last longer and help build collagen with a regular needle, but if a cannula is used, the patient won't get the benefits of collagen rebuilding because the depth of the cannula isn't deep enough. Is there any truth to this? Thank you.

Almost true

Using a cannula  can only get the Restylane in loose connective tissue where it does not stimulate collagen growth. A needle does enable the injector to inject the material intradermal. There is lots of scientific evidence that Restylane administered in the dermis does stimulate collagen and enhances strength and longevity. In other words; the cannula takes the material too deep to strengthen the skin.

Netherlands Physician

Almost true

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Netherlands Physician

Restylane injection question for under eye hollows

Hyaluronic acid-based fillers are not typically recommended for collagen stimulation.  Having said that, the use of a needle or cannula is simply and ultimately injector preference and do not impact collagen stimulation.

Microcannula vs. Filler for Under The Eyes

To put it simply, that is not true. Results are the same with microcannula or needles, with the added benefit that a microcannula is safer with less risk of bleeding and bruising especially for the thin skin of the tear trough area. I almost always use microcannulas in this area.

Cannula For Filler Under Eyes

There is no reason needle or cannula cause a difference in collagen.  Plus Restylane and other HA fillers rarely cause any collage stimulation.  If you want less bruising and swelling and pain, get cannula injections to this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cannula For Filler Under Eyes

Needle for tear trough vs needle...no difference for collagen improvement or longevity

There is no science or truth to your docs statements.  Fact is that cannulas are much safer in this area.  He might not be comfortable using a cannula.  The cannulas go as deep as needles, in fact, I routinely place the filler along the bone.  Either you misunderstood, or he's making things up.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Steven F. Weiner, MD