Restylane injection method question for under eye hollows

I was told by a well respected cosmetic doctor here in Holland that he doesn't use a cannula because Restylane will last longer and help build collagen with a regular needle, but if a cannula is used, the patient won't get the benefits of collagen rebuilding because the depth of the cannula isn't deep enough. Is there any truth to this? Thank you.

Restylane injection question for under eye hollows

Hyaluronic acid-based fillers are not typically recommended for collagen stimulation.  Having said that, the use of a needle or cannula is simply and ultimately injector preference and do not impact collagen stimulation.

Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microcannula vs. Filler for Under The Eyes

To put it simply, that is not true. Results are the same with microcannula or needles, with the added benefit that a microcannula is safer with less risk of bleeding and bruising especially for the thin skin of the tear trough area. I almost always use microcannulas in this area.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Cannula For Filler Under Eyes

There is no reason needle or cannula cause a difference in collagen.  Plus Restylane and other HA fillers rarely cause any collage stimulation.  If you want less bruising and swelling and pain, get cannula injections to this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Needle for tear trough vs needle...no difference for collagen improvement or longevity

There is no science or truth to your docs statements.  Fact is that cannulas are much safer in this area.  He might not be comfortable using a cannula.  The cannulas go as deep as needles, in fact, I routinely place the filler along the bone.  Either you misunderstood, or he's making things up.

Steven F. Weiner, MD