Will my nose stay this bulbous after rhinoplasty? (Photos)

I've had rhinoplasty done to remove a large hump and droopy nose almost 3 months ago. My nose tip feels reeally hard round painfull. It also looks wide and bulbous. Is this swelling? How much can I expect the swelling to go down. Will it be like my previous nose? I feel like my wide nose tip makes my face more round which I do not prefer.

Will My Tip Stay Bulbous after Rhinoplasty?

In some patients the tip will be firm and swollen more than three months after rhinoplasty. Pain is not normal to have pain at this time. At three months you have to be patient but follow up with your surgeon who will evaluate your swelling and deermine the cause of your pain.  

Bulbous Tip Rhinoplasty

Hi,

Still a little early postop to tell. Give it 6 to 8 months. You may also benefit from Kenelog injections. Speak to you surgeon about that.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Will my nose stay this bulbous after rhinoplasty?

It is far too early to tell your final nose tip shape.  The swelling in this area should be gone around the 9-12 month time frame.  Continue to follow up with your surgeon and monitor the changes (less frequently) and I believe you will continue to see changes over the next several months.  Wish you all the best.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FAC

Wirth Plastic Surgery

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

It is swelling!

You are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. Your nose is still healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. You probably still have some swelling which can cause the appearance of a bulbous tip. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon