Amount of Work Involved to Repair Nose?

Hello, I am considering having my nose fixed. It was initially broken playing baseball as a child, and I can feel the hump and its "cracked" area inside. I have often have trouble breathing through my nose and hate its appearance. I'd like to be taken back to what my nose would look like if it hadn't been broken. Inasmuch, I've included photos... How much work would be involved to make my nose actually fit my face and not appear so damaged... Thank you in advance for your openion. K

Doctor Answers 2

Improve breathing and appearance of nose - nose job - rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on the photos your provided, it appears you would be a good candidate for rhinoplasty with taking down your hump and rotating your nasal tip.  Intranasal and functional work should be done at the same time which would depend on the issues involved (deviated septum, nasal valves, turbinates).  Seek an expert opinion and someone with rhinoplasty experience for an evaluation.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 69 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your posted photos show a dorsal hump on the bridge and a slightly drooping tip. The nose looks straight but it is hard to tell because the frontal photo itself is not straight. These 2 issues should be corrected by a standard rhinoplasty rasping of the bridge with infracture of the nasal bones and trimming of the tip cartilage. It is unclear from just these photos why you have trouble breathing. Therefore it is impossible to say what surgery would be recommended. If the nasal valves collapse with breathing that will need to be corrected. Unfortunately dynamic problems like that are not visible in a static photo. Hence the need to see a qualified surgeon face to face before deciding on surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.